Hard drive pauses during read, later disappears completely

Sep 27, 2018
On my PC system I have a number of hard drives, including a WD Green 3TB HDD bought in March 2013. There are no programs on this drive, it's all data, including backups of my music and DVD library.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that when copying one file the system would pause in the middle of reading it, spend a few minutes near that point, then continue. A bit later, some of my music would pause for 10s or so in the middle of playback.

Worried that the drive might have bad sectors developing, I ran chkdsk on it with the /R option. 72 hours later, Windows reported finding no problems with the drive.

However, immediately after that, the drive "disappeared". The drive letter still appears, but if I try to switch to that drive, the application hangs for a minute or so, then fails. Boot-up also takes ages (about 5 minutes). It reminds me of the days when Windows would keep trying to find a network drive that wasn't there.

Disk Management seems unable to load the disk configuration after 5 minutes. Hard Disk Sentinel also seems to not get past it's initial scan to provide a user interface.

So what is happening and what do I do?

It seems the hard drive is failing (has failed). There's a lot of data on there I don't have backups for (mainly all the DVD images). Could it be I just jostled one of the connectors when I was cleaning my video card (which stopped the black-screen crashes I was having near-daily)? Can I connect to a different computer and dump to a new HDD (which I'll have to find some cash for)? Or is the only option now expensive, professional data recovery?

Hoping for some good news.

pstepanas, a troubleshooting step that is recommend is exactly what you suggested...try it on another computer to see what the results are. As for a backup, basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose.
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example).
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Best of luck.

Sep 27, 2018
As a private individual with a budget, it's difficult to buy large enough storage media for complete backups. I certainly back up my documents, but a lot of media is just too difficult, both to organise and to afford the terabytes.

I would still like to know what experts think the symptoms I've described most likely point to.

Specifically, is pausing during a read a sign of disc failure? Why would the drive "disappear" immediately after a full disc scan? Does the RAW indication in Disk Management suggest an Unformat might be needed for some reason?

Thank you.

Sep 27, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion. I've also asked at a few computer stores. The consensus looks a bit like this:
- Surface scan was the worst possible thing to do.
- Use power saving on data drives in the future, or a hot-swapping dock.
- Recuva is very risky for a whole volume (not sure why).
- OnTrack's Easy Recovery 6 has a free version that will recover up to 1GB of data (I first thought it was 1TB, but no).

My understanding is Recuva works on a per-file basis, so the Linux option may be better.

The other promising software I've found is Puran File Recovery, which has a full partition recovery mode.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping most of the file structure is still intact. I definitely don't need something that will stress the hard drive trying to reconnect fragments!

- Running Linux from a DVD may allow me to see all the files and try to copy them.

Sep 27, 2018
I know this thread is pretty old, but I thought I'd add one note.

I did replace the HDD, and I did manage to get everything safely off it using my Mum's Windows 10 PC. But there may have been another culprit.

There's a good chance my Power Supply has been part of the cause of my various problems over the last 2-3 years. Apparently, power supplies decay over time, so my 8 year old, non-brand PSU probably isn't delivering 800W any more -- more like 400W on a good day.

I'm upgrading most of my system right now, and the new PSU will be SilverStone!

TRENDING THREADS