Hard drive potentially causing BSOD during use.

mentospure37

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
System Specs:
FX8320 4.4GHZ at 1,376v
Cooler Master Seidon 120v
Sapphire R9 270X Toxic
2x4gb ripjaw x 1600
1tb wd caviar blue
M12II 520W

Hi guys,

So recently I have been experiencing a problem which I assume could be derived from the hard drive because after the blue screen occurs it brings me to the EFI Shell, and if I exit the shell into my bios the hard drive is not listed. To begin, after installing my new motherboard the problem happens once in a while, so I replugged it to a different port and it still occurs. I also tried using a new sata cable but it did no effect. Another thing to add is that after installing the new mobo, I overclocked my stock fx-8320 to 4.4 ghz. Just to add this problem occurred before OC too. Anyways initially I was thinking that the problem lies in the hard drive as when I was using hard drive sentinel and wd lifesaver on the said desktop it was failing, however when I borrowed an an enclosure and ran it on my laptop there were no problems with the hard drive after testing with the two tools albeit existing a single bad sector. Is it possible that my hard drive is not receiving enough watts when I'm using it?

Solution
On the face of it, sounds like a corrupt OS on your present 1 TB HDD, but it's hard to tell if that is indeed the cause for the problems you're experiencing. On the other hand you're now indicating (at least for the moment) that the boot drive is performing problem-free. So who knows?

Since you purchased another HDD ostensibly to fresh-install the OS onto that drive, I suppose we can wait to see the results.

mentospure37

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017

Should I try to default my overclock settings and see if the problem still persist while waiting? Or maybe replugged the sata cable to a different port, or maybe use the first plug of the daisy chain power connector for the hard drive?

1. Presumably the 1 TB boot drive performed without problems in that it booted without incident and functioned just fine until one day "out-of-the-blue" it no longer boots and you're left with a BSOD. Is that the gist of the problem?

2. Or did this problem surface immediately after you installed the "new motherboard". If that's the genesis of this problem perhaps your MB installation was faulty in some respect.

3. And you've indicated the problem, i.e., non-booting, "happens once in a while"? It's erratic? Sometimes it "works", other times it doesn't?

4. And you've no clue as to why this occurred except the overclocking might have had some negative impact? Or have you discounted that by reverting to default just to test?

5. Doesn't sound like a PSU problem. You've checked the PC for malware of one kind or another? Have you done the usual housecleaning re the HDD, e.g, disk cleanup, checked for unwanted programs, and the like?

6. Have you run sfc /scannow command? If not, do so.

7. Anything on the BSOD that could be of any help? Or the usual gobbledygook?

8. Explain the sequence of events FOLLOWING the BSOD...what do you mean when you indicate "after the blue screen occurs it brings me to the EFI Shell"? Provide a word picture of precisely what happens.

mentospure37

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017

1. Almost, the hard drive can be booted up to windows, it just that after using the hard drive normally, like using a browser or playing a game, it will eventually cause a BSOD. If I use HD Sentinel or WD LifeSaver for testing the hard drive, it can make the BSOD trigger faster.

2. Is there a way for to check if I installed it incorrectly? Other than checking for the required cables?

3. i think it was my mistake for including "happens once in a while" because when I was installing the new motherboard, I've never tested it lengthily, but there were times that it did happen right after logging into my account in windows.

4. I have already removed this variable because the amount of wattage required by the entire build is enough, and the problem still persist even in the default setting in the overclocking tab.

5. The hard drive is newly formatted when the problem started to occur more frequently.

6. Alright, i'll update you in a bit after I try to install windows again on the drive.

7. No, the BSOD happens so fast that I can't catch what happens.

8. So here is the sequence of events: Sign-in to user in windows > open up hd sentinel/WD LifeSaver> run surface test/extended test (to trigger BSOD faster)> BSOD > computer reboots > boots into EFI Shell > displays "EFI Shell version 2.31: Cannot find required map name. Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, or any other key to continue" > I type in "exit" to enter bios > HDD is not listed as a bootable drive.

Just to add the hard drive is working fine if I put applications or media and use it from there. I've had an hour long gaming session using the said hard drive.
I just bought a 500gb hdd and i'll test if the problem still persists.

On the face of it, sounds like a corrupt OS on your present 1 TB HDD, but it's hard to tell if that is indeed the cause for the problems you're experiencing. On the other hand you're now indicating (at least for the moment) that the boot drive is performing problem-free. So who knows?

Since you purchased another HDD ostensibly to fresh-install the OS onto that drive, I suppose we can wait to see the results.

Solution