Hard Drive Prices to Remain Inflated Throughout 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shape

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Noooo!!! I was hoping prices would drop significantly this year. Ohhhh well, I guess I'll have to ration this 1GB of space remaining.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Prices jumped by 20%?
Well not when the flood prices hit at first, a 2TB drive instantly went up by like 100%+

Now I can find 2TB HDD's for $130 which is a lot better than $200.
Which reminds me I'm out of drive bays.. DAMN IT!

Looks like I'll be investing in NAS or upgrading my mix of 1-2TB drives all to 4TB.

builder4

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
“Prices will remain high for a number of reasons, including the higher costs associated with the relocation of production, as well as higher component costs because of flooding impacts among component makers,”

Don't forget price fixing.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]!@#$looks like retailers will milk this unfortunate situation longer.[/citation]

Retailers don't have the power to influence the prices. If they price their merchandise too high, customers are going to buy somewhere else.

If anyone has the power to influence prices, it's the manufacturers themselves, but even they are in fierce competition.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
It looks like Thailand is preparing for more flooding this June/July..........in all the same areas. Could disrupt HDD production for the whole year...and beyond.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
here in Poland I need to pay PLN450 for 1TB instead of PLN170 a year ago.... that's 160% more!!!!!!!!!!. That's f-in insane...

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Seagate just wanted to continue this "flooding impacts production" excuse and price the HDD as high as possible. They tripled their profits after this flooding issues happened. Most probably they may overtake Microsoft after 2012................

G

The number of units officially manufactured/shipped by manufacturers is more or less the same as it was last year. But thanks to the price increase fraud they have been allowed to do with no control.. FBI doesn't do a damn thing against true frauds nowadays with Obama it seems, they are too busy shutting down "pirates" websites.
No with more floods coming in Thailand hard disk manufacturers managers will keep their fraud-the-whole-world plan going strong with no fear of getting jailed as it should happen.

G

Yes HDD prices have gone up, but even at 100% increase, it is still very cheap per GB. Now is the time to invest in SSD, 120GB ssd for less than £1 per GB. If you are short of storage, buy a 120GB SSD, Install OS on it and fav applications/games, use extra GB wisely until HDD prices drop!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I simply refuse to buy at such prices even though I can afford it I simply do not see the hard-drives being of such value. As long as I am not in a absolute requirement to make the purchase I will hold off buying a new hard-drive.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
20% my white a.. its more like 100% or even 200% in some cases here... guess i wont be upgrading my hdd's this year not unless the EU steps in, and that is unlikely. Unfortunatly i think this will impact SSD's aswell in the long run. This whole flood is just an excuse to raise profit margins in an otherwise extremely competitive market.

G

Jump from $72 to $182+ is more than 28%, I'd say.
(Example for SpinPoint F3 1TB in my country.)

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
How could this happen? If you're going to invest $100s of millions or billions in buildings and equipment that's hard to move you do a really REALLY careful site evaluation that considers hundreds of factors. One of them is flood risk, which should be one of the easy ones. No doubt all these facilities carried insurance. The insurance company is typically a partner in risk evaluation. What am I missing here? I suppose I could be asking the same questions about those Japanese nuclear plants.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]caparc[/nom]How could this happen? If you're going to invest $100s of millions or billions in buildings and equipment that's hard to move you do a really REALLY careful site evaluation that considers hundreds of factors. One of them is flood risk, which should be one of the easy ones. No doubt all these facilities carried insurance. The insurance company is typically a partner in risk evaluation. What am I missing here? I suppose I could be asking the same questions about those Japanese nuclear plants.[/citation]

"Is the labor cheap?"

"Check."

"Are business regulations at minimum?"

"Check."

"Are the taxes low?"

"Check."

"Is the flood control sufficient since we're building in a flood-prone area?"

"Well, not really, but our workers can put up sandbag barriers, so check."

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Great... Title should read: "Seagate continues price gouging thru 2012"[/citation]

Actually wholesalers are the ones price gouging, NOT Seagate. Seagate's prices have gone up 10-15% while wholesalers such as Ingram Micro are jacking up the prices 50-100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.