Hard Drive Problem

GBMGames

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
Hello guys, I have a problem with my hard drive. When i boot the screen does not post and all that I see is a white dash in the top left corner of my screen which then follows by a singular click that can be heard from the hard drive, this goes on in an endless loop. I have already purchased a new drive however I would like to know if this current drive is definitely dead.

I have switched the sata cable between mutliple slots on my motherboard however the result is the same.

I would also like to mention that the drive is 10 years old so it was probably at the edge of its life anyway.

Edit:

I have taken the hard drive out and booted up the PC to see if it posts, and this is where the confusing part starts because i still get a white dash at the top left corner of my screen. Does this mean it posted OK? or is there something wrong with the motherboard?

GBMGames

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

I took out the drive and the same happens is everything alright with the motherboard?

GBMGames

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

I have GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard, the DEL key should take me to the BIOS however nothing happens. I am using a wireless keyboard, i don't have a wired one.

GBMGames

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

The new hard drive should arrive in about 4 days from now, i will try to install windows via usb and see how things turn out. Thank you for your time.