Hard Drive Problem

Unearthly

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hello, I recently purchased a Western Digital 320GB SATA hard drive for my new computer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136003

However, I have been having some problems with it. I'll list now everything to date I've done with the drive.
1) Attempt to install Windows XP (Pre-SP1). Only recognizes 127GB.
2) I partition all the 127GB.
3) I attempt to format the partion, but the format fails.
4) Try partitioning and formatting a smaller size, also fails.
5) Install Windows onto another hard drive (IDE).
6) Boot up Windows, Black screens if SATA drive is connected.
7) Plug SATA into brother's computer. Able to format only 127G, despite being post SP2 and having a 200GB SATA drive working perfectly.
8) Plug back into my computer, still Black screens.
9) Get Windows SP2 disk, use it to partition full drive space
10) Attempt to quick format, fail.
11) Boot up Windows, now regonizes the SATA drive.
12) Attempt both quick and full formats, both fail.

I'm not that experienced with hard drives, so I'm not sure if its possible I'm missing a driver or something that is keeping me from formatting this disk or if it is really damaged. Can anyone help me? Here are my computer specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo 6600
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3
RAM: G.SKILL 2x1GB DDR2 800
Hard Drive (with Windows): Maxtor 60GB IDE

ej4love

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
sound like you have two problems, first you bios doesn't recognize your hard drive size, second sound like power supply not enough or you have both drives set as master, check to see if they are set the same, try updating your bios first, i have the same problem with my drives over a certain size, i have one computer that will recognize any size drive i have and the rest will not recognize them, so i use the one that recognize it to partition it, then i format it in the other computers. once you set the partitions, every thing will be okay.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
1) First thing you do when you buy a new hard drive is to run a full drive self test using the manufacturers diagnostic software.

2) Pre SP1 doesn't support partitions over 127GB, and I think it may have problem recognizzing large hard drives.

3) Many hard drive controllers require that you press F6 and then load the correct storage drivers durring windows XP installation. Its common for people to load the incorrect drivers.

4) Jumper settings often exist that will let you clip a drive to a smaller capacity for compatibilty purposes. You might want to check out the jumper settings for you drive. These special settings are usually not labeled on teh drive itself.

5) Whenever you add an additional hard drive you always need to enter the CMOS setup and verify that the system is set to boot off of the correct drive.

6) Adding the drive could be too much strain on your PSU.

7) Never connect both the regular and the SATA power cables at the same time.

8) Remove all extra hard drives when installing XP.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
All the other ideas for resolving your problem are good but I had a similar problem and all I had to do was run WD's Data Lifeguard Tools. I did it both ways (ie. DOS disk from boot as primary drive & from XP Pro SP2 as storage drive).
Hope this solves your problem as it did mine.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
SATA drives have SATA power connectors and old style 4 pin power connectors.

When connecting a SATA Hard drive only provide power by means of one of the connectors, never use both at once or you can fry your hard drive.

Edited to make it be more clear I only mean you can't use both connectors on any particular driver.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

7) Never connect both the regular and the SATA power cables at the same time.

Do you mean that a HD (ID type) and a HD (SATA type) may not be connected at the same time ? How can I use then data stored on the old HD and put it on the SATA new HD ?
I it only possible via an external drive ?

I have a problem that two HD's are installed with on each HD Windows XP Pro so that they can work independant + this HD (ID type). The result is that only one SATA HD is recognised and the other SATA HD not (black screen). Could this be the reason of my boot problem ? What can I do about it ? Using a boot manager ?

Greetz. José.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Wrong, I have six SATA HDD's and 1 SATA DVD\RW all have just the one power socket and it's a SATA!
Codesmith is right. My WD Raptor 150 has both a SATA power connector and a 4 pin molex connector. Don't be so quick to correct someone if you don't know for sure! I'm just being nice and trying to help. Others will flame you for your erroneous post.
Do you mean that a HD (ID type) and a HD (SATA type) may not be connected at the same time ? How can I use then data stored on the old HD and put it on the SATA new HD ?
Yes you can have both SATA & IDE HDDs conntected to the same system. I had a IDE Maxtor 120 GB and my SATA 3.0 Gb/s connected to the same mobo (internally) and had no problems. I think what Codesmith meant (correct me if I'm wrong) is that on a single drive with both types of power connectors, only connect one of the power connectors.

I understand what you're saying , however if you check the OP's link in the first post the drive pictured has only one power connector so that is what I'm going by, and "SATA drives have SATA power connectors and old style 4 pin power connectors. " kind of implies to that this is the norm, well it does to me. I apologise for any offence caused and I'll leave you to have fun with it.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I understand what you're saying , however if you check the OP's link in the first post the drive pictured has only one power connector so that is what I'm going by,
Fair enough.
I'm sure your familiar with newegg's practice of not putting representative photos in product descriptions. If not, check out Western Digitals photos and you'll see why dual power connectors are an issue.
BTW - no offence taken.

Peace out!

Yes I've seen the photo's and I think I'll steer clear of the WD's for a bit, the drives I have are Seagates, Maxtors and a Samsung and I'm pretty sure Hitachi's TravelStar, Toshiba's MK4032GSX and HP's 25GB only have the single power connector, most if not all the of the ones on this side of the pond I think, sorry for the dig before but I just don't see too many dual power connectors in my neck of the woods so live and learn eh. Peace

Latest posts