Hard drive problems on a NEC laptop

nrashidov

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Came back home to hear a weird sound coming from my laptop (Japanese NEC model), looked at it and saw that I had forgotten to turn it off before leaving that day. It just had a black screen of death with a mouse pointer. I turned the laptop off and on and every time it turns on, just before the windows loading screen, it says

S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive detects Error. Please consider to back up the hard drive. Press ESC continue..

Then the windows loads and the pc gives a black screen of death instead of the welcome screen. Tried booting in the safe mode and the loading gets stuck at classpnp.sys
Tried the windows repair on boot, doesnt work...
I burned the windows 7 iso to a disc, and wanted to run windows 7 repair, but it says something like "this version of windows is different from the one installed on your system". So i then decided to install it alongside my current OS, but it says something like "windows cannot be installed on Partition 1 because the hard drive is corrupted"...

I managed to access my files through ubuntu's "try without installing", i didnt see any file loss, copied everything i need to a usb. So now I am wondering if I should buy a new hard disc for my laptop, or is this fixable?

TRENDING THREADS