hard drive problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leon_16

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Hi guys i need help,been running out of ideas, i build my computer myself and i just recently bought a new computer case and rebuild it over into the new case everything worked fine then windows 10 started crashing i was not able to repair windows 10 and i was also not able to format and install windows 7 back on the primary hard drive i the removed the primary tried the same with the secondary which is a new hdd and the same nothing works and after trying to boot windows 7 i started to get the blue screen drive static failure, then i bought a new ssd and installed windows 7 that worked but as soon as i plug my hdd in windows gets stuck on the the starting windows screen and eventually i get a blue screen again, as soon as i remove the hdd it works again and this happens to both my hddrives. computer specs . i just got these error codes in windows restore Windows Fails to Start Multiple Times. Err Codes: 0x1f and 0x490 etc
Intel i7 4,00 ghz cpu
gtx 950 paulit graphics card
12 gb kingston ddr 3 1666mhz hyper x fury ram
toshiba 1 tb hdd (new secondary)
seagate 500gb old primary
new ssd to test samsung 750 evo
600w powersupply be quiet
asus z97 pro gamer motherboard

Solution
Windows 10 uses a different way to format drives to win 7 and this sort of explains the problems you are having. As it also uses a different boot method and yours is set so it can be either. Win 7 and all before it used MBR, Win 8 & 10 use GPT. If you going to stay on win 7 you need to look at the boot priority in bios and perhaps remove the other hdd from list altogether, that way PC won't try to boot from them at all.

Nothing works? what do you mean by that (in regards to installing win 7 on both hdd). How far did you get into installing 7 on them?
which do you want to run? win 7 or 10?

what you need to do is wipe the drives that had windows on them and then put them back in PC and you won't get this confusion. Download...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 makes that slightly easier as it will grab a pack of drivers for you, they aren't always the newest but they are right for motherboard. Still helps to check there aren't newer after its done. Win 7 just expects you to do it all.

You might be better off installing win 10 if this doesn't work out.

Leon_16

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Hi so manage to get my system running again with all harddrives, i wiped the ssd and installed windows 10 made a rufus bootable usb, then it kicked out a bsod again so i decided to reset my bios with the motherboard dvd and then tried again and it worked also updated my chip drivers seems to be all working havent had a crash so far.