Feb 15, 2002
Hi there.
Im wondering if anyone can help me with a problem in having
Here goes..
I aquired a new hard drive off my friend
Its a 15GB IBM 7200
The jumper settings on the back are 1 on Master and 1 on 16 cycles

Ive put it in my machine and formatted it, Installed Windows ME
and all my drivers for my graphics,sound etc.

When i go into device manager i have an exclamation mark next to
Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
In the properties it says
Either the device isnt present, not working properly or doesnt have
all the drivers installed

Ive tried updating te drivers [off ME disc & Mobo disc] but no joy.
:(

Also when i go into system properties / Performance it says:

Memory: 256.0MB of RAM
System Resources: 76% free
File System: Some drives are using MS-DOS compatibility
Virtual Memory: MS-DOS compatibility mode
Disk Compression: Not Installed
PC Cards [PCMCIA]: No PC Card Sockets are installed

In the white box it says:
Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance.
Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

I know this is not ok, and the only thing i can think of that it is,
is that my IDE cable isnt a fast Hard drive one, but it is thinner than a normal one.
[Ive been told that they are thinner ribbons].

Any help would be much appreciated thx.

Athlon 1.4Ghz 266
K7S5A ECS Motherboard
256MB DDR RAM
IBM 15GB 7200 HD
Geforce 3 Ti200
Windows ME

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Have you installed the (4-in-1) drivers for the motherboard yet?

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

Zinger

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
the only drivers on my mobo disc are
sound drivers and
SiS AGP VxD driver V1.09 [which ive installed]

still the same.
I cant find the 4-in-1 Drivers, they arnt on the disc and they arnd on my motherboard website.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Hmm...I didn't see the <A HREF="http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/driver/k7s.htm" target="_new">(4-in-1)</A> drivers on their website either. If you are in DOS compatibility mode, something else is wrong. In device manager delete the IDE controller and reboot, so P-n-P can reinstall it. Check your HDD cable connection make sure it is connected to IDE primary controller on motherboard.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

Zinger

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Ive installed the 4-in-1 drivers and now in Hard disk Controllers it says:
SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
and it has no problems :)
It still says MS-DOS Compatibility Mode file system though in performance :?

Zinger

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Ive tried that, nothing happens ie no change.
The IDE cable is in securely.
when i click on details for:-
Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance
Windows help pos up and says:
Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance.

Windows Millennium Edition was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.
Because Windows Millennium Edition could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. However, this decreases overall performance. To improve performance, remove the program or driver causing the problem, or contact its manufacturer for an upgraded version.

If i right click on
Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system
it says:
Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

This problem often occurs on more than one drive. Usually it is caused by a driver listed in the Config.sys file that Windows Millennium Edition does not recognize and that is related to the message Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance. If you see both messages, see the Help for the Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance message first.
If you only see the message Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility (real-mode) driver, which might reduce that drive’s performance. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your drive. If not, the drive’s performance might be less than optimal, but you can still use it.

I have no idea what this means lol
any ideas on how to sort it?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
You shouldn't have to use Config.sys or Autoexec.bat. Those are only needed for DOS based games/programs. I'm not sure about WinMe, but in "System Information" you should be able to uncheck Config.sys & Autoexec.bat, then it will ask you to reboot. It could be that the drivers you install for sound from the CD added DOS drivers in config.sys/autoexec.bat

Zinger

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Im going to format the drive
Im considering using fdisk to wipe the lot and start fresh
Do you think i should?
or could this whole problem been caused by the IDE cable not bieng a fast one?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Keep troubleshooting it's probably something you are overlooking. I'm signing off for now. On the way home from work.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
My opinion is FDISK never hurts! In this case however I dont know that itll help since it was already a fresh install of the OS. One thing I wonder about is you said you did install the driver and got "SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller" so what happened after that. Did it just disappear after reboot?

A "slower" cable would actually make the drive kick back to a slower mode, but if you have a spare cable it would not hurt to try it even though I dont think its the problem. The more things you can say are NOT the problem the better off you are....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This generally has little to do with the file system, and repartitioning and formatting the drive is overkill, IMO, unless the Master Boot Record has been modified or damaged.

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q130179" target="_new">Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks (Q130179)</A>

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q151911" target="_new">MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI IDE Controllers (Q151911)</A>

<A HREF="http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/msdos-compatibility.html" target="_new">Fix Hard Disks Running in MS-DOS Compatibility Mode</A>

<A HREF="http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000143.htm" target="_new">MS-DOS compatibility mode issues</A>

I suggest a good search engine like <A HREF="http://www.google.com/advanced_search" target="_new">Google</A> for locating information quickly on error messages. Just FYI.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

Zinger

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Problem Solved

I went out and bought a new IDE cable and
everything is fine now.
Thx for all your suggestions peeps.
:)

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I hope you didn't have to format and start all over. A lot of times a problem is staring use in the face, and all we have to do is be persistent. Good job! I'm sure you will never forget this problem. :smile: