hard drive question

hi, I just installed a new hard drive with windows xp pro;
the hard drive has an 8mb buffer. does anyone know how to use this space or
is it already allocated accordingly by windows? thanks.

The cache is part of the disk drive and is used to keep the flow of
information steady. It's not available for use by Windows.

Modem Ani

"ediab" <ediab@rogers.com> wrote in message
> hi, I just installed a new hard drive with windows xp pro;
> the hard drive has an 8mb buffer. does anyone know how to use this space
or
> is it already allocated accordingly by windows? thanks.

Actually windows or the OS uses it all the time, the user just has no access
or configuration parameters.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:

> Actually windows or the OS uses it all the time, the user just has no access
> or configuration parameters.

There is one param under XP that affects performance: write caching. With
write caching enabled, write performance is faster but writing is somewhat
less reliable. You can find each HD's write cache enable check box on the
policies tab of the disk management window per-drive properties.
--
Cheers, Bob

I appreciate the information. I thought that the drive's cache was operated
by the logic built into the drive.

Modem Ani

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
>
> > Actually windows or the OS uses it all the time, the user just has no
access
> > or configuration parameters.
> >

> There is one param under XP that affects performance: write caching.
With
> write caching enabled, write performance is faster but writing is somewhat
> less reliable. You can find each HD's write cache enable check box on the
> policies tab of the disk management window per-drive properties.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

It is. Windows only "uses" it as a function of reading from or writing
to the drive, sort of like Windows "uses" electricity or IDE cables.

Modem Ani wrote:

> I appreciate the information. I thought that the drive's cache was operated
> by the logic built into the drive.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
>>

>>>Actually windows or the OS uses it all the time, the user just has no
>
> access
>
>>>or configuration parameters.
>>>

>>There is one param under XP that affects performance: write caching.
>
> With
>
>>write caching enabled, write performance is faster but writing is somewhat
>>less reliable. You can find each HD's write cache enable check box on the
>>policies tab of the disk management window per-drive properties.
>>--
>>Cheers, Bob

Ah then, so I was right in the first place...the disk's cache is not
available to the user. Maybe it was just semantics (;-)

Modem Ani

> It is. Windows only "uses" it as a function of reading from or writing
> to the drive, sort of like Windows "uses" electricity or IDE cables.
>
> Modem Ani wrote:
>
> > I appreciate the information. I thought that the drive's cache was
operated
> > by the logic built into the drive.
> >
> > Modem Ani
> >
> > "Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message

> > access

> >>There is one param under XP that affects performance: write caching.
> >
> > With
> >
> >>write caching enabled, write performance is faster but writing is
somewhat
> >>less reliable. You can find each HD's write cache enable check box on
the
> >>policies tab of the disk management window per-drive properties.
> >>--
> >>Cheers, Bob

I think the original discussion was about the "write behind cache" in
Windows itself for "removable drive" performance VS. "safety".