Hard drive question

ToTheTop

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
So i decided to return my WD Blue and replaced it with a WD Black. The only problem is I did not delete the volume. I do not care about the files as I don't have anything important on there and I know the store will clear it for me. The only thing i'm wondering is how this affects my pc, as i see the files but cant access them. Should I be worried about something or should i just delete these files and/or hide them? Also is there anyway i can delete the volume even though I don't have the drive anymore?

Solution

They are shortcuts to a file that no longer exists, on a drive that no longer exists.
Just delete them.

ToTheTop

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

thats what happens... are these shortcuts stored on my boot ssd? And is there anyway to just delete the old volume?

USAFRet

Titan

They are shortcuts to a file that no longer exists, on a drive that no longer exists.
Just delete them.

Solution

ToTheTop

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

considering its micro center i'm pretty confident

USAFRet

Titan

Enter the Time Machine.
Many years ago, I bought a PC off the refurb rack at Microcenter (Cincinnati/Sharonville)

I specifically asked the floor walker..."This PC has been wiped and reinstalled, right?"
'Yes sir!'

I then asked the same of the floor manager.
'Yes sir!'

I got it home, strolling through the Registry....
The original owners info. Name, address, phone num, credit card num.....

Unless you do it, it does not count.

ToTheTop

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

haha you are right, well better hope they clear it even though i didnt really put anything on there...