Hard Drive questions for my Asus X540SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokislilstash

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Hi,

I purchased my laptop from Best Buy about 9 months ago. The geek squad will not honor the warranty on it and said that I had to contact Asus for repair. I was returned my laptop from ASUS because they said the laptop had been tampered with. They told me that it had a tech tag on the motherboard showing some type of repair was done. I told them that I bought it brand new and was not told that any type of repair had been done on it. Anyway now my hard drive is going out I keep getting a S.M.A.R.T error ever time my laptop restarts and I have to hit f1 to continue. No one wants to honor the warranties that is still on this laptop, so my question is this....

I want and need my laptop to run a bit faster than it is and work properly so I want to go up to a 1tb hdd with a 7200 RPM. Anyone got any idea which Hard drive would be best and if this laptop will comfortably handle a bigger hard drive? I personally like Sea gate but wanted some input before I go buying one. Also is it possible to copy the OS to a flash drive and install it on the new drive or would i have to purchase windows 10 new?

If it has a 'tech tag' on it, even though past your 9 months at Best Buy, go to the store. Complain to a manager. Since you believed it to be new when purchased, and have had no one do any work on it, they are responsible for making sure you have a 'new device' like you purchased.

lokislilstash

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

lokislilstash

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Thank you. I did take it back to the store and they told me that because it had been a discounted laptop that it was considered to be refurbished and that they would not warranty it. I told the manager that it was on sale but no where on the box does it say refurbished or discontinued. He just told me that I can pay geek squad to fix the issues

Status
Not open for further replies.