[SOLVED] Hard drive questions.

Apr 16, 2020
Looking for someone who has experience with various ssds and m.2 hard drives. What brands to avoid stuff like that. I see a decent amount of choices but it can be a bit much to read through when you only know what half of it is saying lol.

My current PC is out of commission and was wondering what the best way to get the problem diagnosed it's kind of hard without a second one to test the parts on. Should I just take it to a shop that can diagnose it etc. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Motherboard- z270 gaming m5 MSI
Processor- I 7 6700k
Ram- g skill rip jaw 4, 2 / 8gb
Graphics card -1070 g force asus
Windows 10

Last edited:
Solution
A bent pin in the motherboard cpu socket is unfortunately easy to cause if you do not take care to drop the cpu in cleanly.
Sometimes, no problem is apparent.
Or perhaps only something like dual channel operation fails.
it can sometimes be fixed with a needle.
A repair by the factory might be $50 or so.
I know, I did that once.
Probably not worth it.

You can sell used parts on ebay.
Look up your parts in used condition.
Filter on completed auctions and in green, you will see what that item actually sold for.
I do that for my old parts.
There is a learning curve and above all you want a clean reputation.
For example, you could not sell your motherboard at all unless you clearly stated for parts only, not working.
Do not expect mush...

RealBeast

Titan
Looking for someone who has experience with various ssds and m.2 hard drives. What brands to avoid stuff like that. I see a decent amount of choices but it can be a bit much to read through when you only know what half of it is saying lol.

My current PC is out of commission and was wondering what the best way to get the problem diagnosed it's kind of hard without a second one to test the parts on. Should I just take it to a shop that can diagnose it etc. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Please list your computer model or the model of the major parts, like motherboard, GPU, CPU, memory, PSU to help forum members answer your questions. Also, Windows 10?

First, get your pc fixed.
This is mostly done by replacing parts with known good replacements.
Go to a shop you can trust.
Some can be sneaky like replacing a processor with a cheaper unit or telling you that you have a bad part or two when that is not so.

If you do not have a ssd for your C drive get one.
It is the best performance upgrade you will ever buy.
They are cheap enough today, 240gb should be minimum.
Everything you do will feel so much quicker.

Your motherboard will support any m.2 or 2.5" ssd.
If on a budget, the sata versions will be cheapest.
A m.2 pcie drive is about the size of a stick of gum. It fits into the motherboard, needing no sata or power connector.

For most work, namely small random I/O performance between sata and pcie operation is minimal.
For sequential work, pcie can be 4x faster and will be priced accordingly.

On brands, I like samsung and Intel and those who make their own chips and controllers. They can control quality better.

Apr 16, 2020
First, get your pc fixed.
This is mostly done by replacing parts with known good replacements.
Go to a shop you can trust.
Some can be sneaky like replacing a processor with a cheaper unit or telling you that you have a bad part or two when that is not so.

If you do not have a ssd for your C drive get one.
It is the best performance upgrade you will ever buy.
They are cheap enough today, 240gb should be minimum.
Everything you do will feel so much quicker.

Your motherboard will support any m.2 or 2.5" ssd.
If on a budget, the sata versions will be cheapest.
A m.2 pcie drive is about the size of a stick of gum. It fits into the motherboard, needing no sata or power connector.

For most work, namely small random I/O performance between sata and pcie operation is minimal.
For sequential work, pcie can be 4x faster and will be priced accordingly.

On brands, I like samsung and Intel and those who make their own chips and controllers. They can control quality better.

Thank you for reply. Unfortunately all of repairs shops near me are closed for the foreseeable future. I generally know how to figure out what is wrong the issue is testing it without pc to swap parts it's king of hard. I think I just broke a pin on the mother board as well. First time I have ever done it out of fixing and build around 10 PC's. I don't really have the money to fix it now after that so idk what I'm gonna do.

Is there a way for me to sell broken PC parts even if it's only a little I have older PC parts laying around.

A bent pin in the motherboard cpu socket is unfortunately easy to cause if you do not take care to drop the cpu in cleanly.
I know, I did that once.
Probably not worth it.

Filter on completed auctions and in green, you will see what that item actually sold for.
For example, you could not sell your motherboard at all unless you clearly stated for parts only, not working.
Do not expect mush from obsolete parts.

Check all of your connections carefully.

What is the make/model your psu?
I usually look to a cheap psu as the most likely cause of failure.

6700K is still a great processor.
If your motherboard is bad, look for a Z270 based replacement on ebay.
Prices are all over the place.
Buy from an individual for the best price, not a reseller.

Solution
Apr 16, 2020
I know, I did that once.
Probably not worth it.

Do not expect mush from obsolete parts.

Check all of your connections carefully.

What is the make/model your psu?
I usually look to a cheap psu as the most likely cause of failure.

6700K is still a great processor.
If your motherboard is bad, look for a Z270 based replacement on ebay.
Prices are all over the place.
Buy from an individual for the best price, not a reseller.
Yeah I figured I wouldn't get much but it's like 2 or 3 PC Worth the stuff just laying around is pretty used condition. 10$ is still 10$ lol. Evga 600 silver it's well over what I need. I'm just gonna get a new motherboard for cheap then see if I can figure out if it's my CPU or hard drive.

Would bad ram give me no signal to a monitor?

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I figured I wouldn't get much but it's like 2 or 3 PC Worth the stuff just laying around is pretty used condition. 10$ is still 10$ lol. Evga 600 silver it's well over what I need. I'm just gonna get a new motherboard for cheap then see if I can figure out if it's my CPU or hard drive.

Would bad ram give me no signal to a monitor?
$10 = $0 once you include fees and shipping, etc.

You can drop down to one RAM module installed, clear out your BIOS (remove battery, h old in rest/power switch), or, try running it with no GPU installed (connect monitor to mainboard display port or HDMI out)..

PSU failures are not uncommon, and most start there before ordering new mainboards or CPUs....(if you swap PSUs, do NOT mix /reuse any old modular cables with new PSU....ever!)

Bad ram keeps you from even starting.
I would start testing using the integrated graphics.
That pretty much eliminates one source of problem.

On your parts, you could bundle them up and sell them as a single lot.
lot.
Describe each part in detail, telling if it is working or not.
Make up a lot that will fit in a large priority mail flat rate box.
A case will be too heavy and is better sold locally if it is any good at all.