Question Hard Drive Reliability Recomendations - April 2019

current resident

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Hi all, any thoughts to most reliable drives in the 2-4 TB range?

Just adding another "scratch"/storage drive to my gaming & video rendering machine.

Currently have a Samsung SSD for boot, and two Seagate Barracuda 1tb drives for programs, media etc.

Final renders and inactive projects are saved on my NAS.

Have had great luck with Seagate Barracudas in the past (both 1tb drives are over 3 years old and have been rock solid - knock on wood.) but reading recent reviews has given me pause on buying another...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Always the backblaze reports for models to avoid. They use consumer drives for inexpensive massive data solutions. There reports are moderately useful because they buy so many of the same models in bulk.

As for the rest, all made in like three factories in the world. So...pick the cheapest and hope for the best.

Looks like the Hitachi 4TB are the winners for 2018. You can dig deeper. But a lot of the drives they use weren't really intended for use in large arrays and lack some of the features that enterprise SAS drives tend to have. (I think some of them even come with sympathetic vibration detectors so they don't all create oscillations together)

TRENDING THREADS