hard drive running hot, so needs a fan

SkyDiver

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002

According to the Everest utility, one of my hard drives is running hot,
about 51 degrees C. That's still within specs which give 55 degrees max, but
this is wintertime and it's pretty cool down near the floor. Next summer
when room temperatures rises, I'm afraid the drive will exceed the max
allowable.

That's my 160G Maxtor primary master drive with the op system which is
getting all the action. My 120G Maxtor slave drive is running at 41 degrees
C, maybe because it's at the bottom of the drive rack so gets better
cooling.

So I'd like to put a fan into/onto my case to help cool it. It's a Compaq
Presario S4020WM. It has no hard drive/case cooling fan at present. There's
a fan on the processor, of course, and an exhaust fan in the power supply.
That's it.

It has a drive rack where the hard drives slip into the rack with their
screws sliding along the guide rails. There is ABSOLUTELY NO extra space
between the 2 drives. It's a very tight fit, which probably contributes to
the heating problem.

So the extra fan can't be mounted on the drive itself, unless possibly it's
at the front or back end of the drive. So it will probably have to be
mounted elsewhere, maybe on the front of the case to blow extra air into the
intake vents, or maybe behind the bezel blowing directly over the hard drive
(or, where?).

I've looked at fans a little, and don't know what kind to buy, or exactly
what I need to do. If I could just lower the hd's temp 5 degrees, I imagine
it would be OK. Any advice appreciated.
--
skydiver
(this space intentionally left blank)

To actually answer your question, instead of troll with bitches about
quality products. You need to add at least 1 case fan. I am not
familiar with your Presario case, but most likely you can add a fan in
the back of the case, under the power supply. Any generic case fan
should work, available at any local computer shop or Worst Buy. Make
sure the fan blows out. If for some reason you can't add the fan in
the back, or you want to add a 2nd fan, get out your Dremel and cut a
hole in the side of the case, and screw a fan in. It might be a bit
ugly, but cooling is more important than prettiness. If it is a second
fan, have it blowing in, and the one in the back blowing out.

Interesting, since they were useful observations from two people that have
been helping on this forum for at least 8 years.

How about you?