Hard Drive Running Very hot! and possibly failing help

forzahorizon3guy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2018
hard drive possibly failing and super hot the hard drive is in my file server and its clicking

but not very loud like you only hear it if your like a few centimeters from the case but i also put what ever hard drives i can find in the old systems i scrap in it for extra storage but this one is a old seagate barracuda 40GB and also its very hot like hot shower hot and it burns to touch it normal for old drives or impending drive failure and its not realy even clicking its more like a soft taping i cant explain what it sounds like so heres a link to a recording of it sorry for the noise from the fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bacJ7gifYU and also you have to listen very closely one more thing it always does this even when completely idle or when under full load 90% of time its just idle i have already started making back up

im sorry if that didn't make sense im not very good at explaining things in a way other people can understand

Solution
Time to dump the drive. That kind of heat is only generated 1 way, lack of lubricant on the shaft the disc's are mounted to. If you are now hearing clicking, that's evidence of wear and it won't be long until that wear creates enough distortion that the disc's either contact the heads or armature, scratching them, of what should be clean lines of data are now wobbly, causing skips and loss of data.

Slave in a new drive, copy the old one and hope you don't have any problems.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Time to dump the drive. That kind of heat is only generated 1 way, lack of lubricant on the shaft the disc's are mounted to. If you are now hearing clicking, that's evidence of wear and it won't be long until that wear creates enough distortion that the disc's either contact the heads or armature, scratching them, of what should be clean lines of data are now wobbly, causing skips and loss of data.

Slave in a new drive, copy the old one and hope you don't have any problems.

Solution

forzahorizon3guy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2018
Done it only had some audio files on it only 4-5GB of audio files now what do i do with the old drive now turn it into a clock or somethin? and after i copied all the files i used 4-5 different hard drive diagnostic programs on it none of them said i had any bad sectors or anything and it said it was good i also ran a Diagnostic with the BIOS drive diagostics so should i just get rid of the drive or keep useing it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Diagnostic tools and sector health are quite different than physical failure of the mechanism. The tools will only tell you that currently the disc's are in good health and the data is safe, for now. But they don't read physical wear and tear.

Kinda like the check engine light will not come on or report any errors if all the fenders on your car and the floorboards are all rusted out and falling apart.

That drive is headed for casastrophic failure that's going to be quite sudden and permanent, not slow death of the disc's ability to store data.

There are places that take old electronics for recycle/disposal just make sure all data/partitions are destroyed. Alternately, it's not unheard of for ppl to get happy with a sledgehammer....

forzahorizon3guy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2018
true but if its like a check engine light you could try putting some electrical tape over it?

but any way i got all the data off it and put the data on a new 1TB seagate drive that i had setting around

i didnt get rid of the hard drive i just took it out and started using it as a Drink coaster..... it works quite well for a drink coaster and if i need to have it keep a drink warm just gotta connect it to some random power supply with a power supply tester :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lol. I tore apart an old optical drive because I wanted the lid as a bracket to hold my hdd/ssd in my top optical bay since I pulled out the hdd cages to front mount my 280mm aio. I suppose I could have just bought a 5¼ adapter, but the lid was free. So I totally get the drink coaster. :D

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I like SeaTools, it's a great program for what it does, but it has limitations, like the user. You'd have to know exactly how fast it's supposed to be moving data for instance to know that even a slight slowdown, coupled with excessive heat would mean serious friction in the drive mechanism slowing it all down. So the limitation isn't the software as such.

I'm just glad you didn't 'what if' the results, and moved all the data before it did die. It was a forgone conclusion that it would, but 'when' is a different story.

forzahorizon3guy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2018
their was only 4-5GB of audio files on it wasnt that much of a case if i move the files to a different system drive ill be out of storage but because it was only 4-5GB i had pleanty of space on the boot drive to move it to :)

but i also now have a DIY "Fidget spinner" if i take the Read and write arm out :D

and i would of lost my data if i hadnt been doing some maintenance on my FILE server that day because if i hadnt i wouldn't of noticed how hot the hard drive was

TRENDING THREADS