Hard Drive Shipments Back on Record Track After Thai Floods

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

Prices are still inflated though. Before the flooding a 500GB drive could be had for ~$50 and a 1TB drive for ~$70. Prices now are still 25-50% higher than that.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
It's already too late. Unless I can get a 1TB Western Digital Hard drive for $50, I'll continue to use cloud storage and SSDs.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
just days before the FIASCO started 2TB drives were $79 on Newegg.
If it weren't for this FIASCO we would have 4TB for $79 by now.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Hmmm...I thought prices got back to normal, like, 4 months ago...Gruener, you're slowpoking again, huh?[/citation]

Prices haven't been "normal" for quite a while now. I assume you mean production levels?

[citation][nom]anort3[/nom]Prices are still inflated though. Before the flooding a 500GB drive could be had for ~$50 and a 1TB drive for ~$70. Prices now are still 25-50% higher than that.[/citation]

While prices are still inflated, they are dropping back to normal. For a while my store couldn't get any 320GB HDDs. We have them again finally. And 2TBs are $99 which isn't too bad.

They will decline steadily again and we will see better prices in the coming months.

prices wont be normalized until probably 2014 at the least. Though in my opinion, the way that Hard Drives should start too move into is Hybrid HDD, to pose as a middle man between SSD's and HDD's.

I think the thing is we're just now seeing prices around what they were two years ago, which is still behind the curve as far as tech goes. I just picked up a 2TB for like 90$ shipped, pretty good, 45$ a TB, but I bought my last three 1TB drives for 50$ a TB two years ago. So, better than two years ago, but still not where it would have been without the flooding. Hope we can go some more years without more flooding over there. Weather can be fickle.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]anort3[/nom]Prices are still inflated though. Before the flooding a 500GB drive could be had for ~$50 and a 1TB drive for ~$70. Prices now are still 25-50% higher than that.[/citation]
the same thing happened with gas prices....now we are used to paying over 4 dollars for a gallon of gas....this is really sad

notdave

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
that's because WD and SG had both been busy buying out the competition. Less competition equals higher prices. welcome to the new normal

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]While prices are still inflated, they are dropping back to normal. For a while my store couldn't get any 320GB HDDs. We have them again finally. And 2TBs are $99 which isn't too bad.They will decline steadily again and we will see better prices in the coming months.[/citation]

They will as long as they don't sell the volumes they make, supply and demand...

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]But not before they milked that cow...[/citation]

And it seems they still have another 2 more years of milking to go. At least it gave ample time for SSD's to come down in price thanks to the higher prices making them more attractable for a workstation drive.

In the meantime I'm forcing myself from a much needed upgrade on the external for over a year and probably another before the inflated price isn't such a kick in the gut. Bad timing the floods hit a month prior to my scheduled upgrade. If money only grew on trees.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Hard Drive Shipments Back on Record Track After Thai Floods, price gouging continues!

There that's a better title and also more correct. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.