Hard drive shows in BIOS and Windows, but won't get data

jackslap

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I have an old Hitachi Travelstar 30gb drive that needs ONE folder recovered off of it. I feel that the drive must have some physical problem inside. However, it does show in the BIOS, AND in Windows. It will open and show all directories. But when attempting to copy/paste the needed folder from the drive, it errors out. I know it must not be the logic board, or else I wouldn't even be getting this far correct? BUT, what could be wrong with it? I understand how HDD's work to a certain degree and if the head was collapsed on the platter, I wouldn't be getting this far either right? What could be wrong?

jackslap

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I don't remember the specific verbage without it right in front of me, but it was something very generic like "file not accessable". There were no error numbers for reference. It clicks and whirs like it is occasionally spinning. Windows sees it, BIOS sees it. Files show up in explorer. Just can't get the files off the drive. It freezes and clicks madly when attempting to copy/paste/drag/drop.

I'm thinking about a logic board swap, since it's an older drive (7 years). I know this trick is a bit archaic and doesn't really have much success on newer drives, but it may work for this one.

What I don't understand is......is it really even the board at all? I would think that if the board was toast, the thing wouldn't show up in BIOS or Windows at all. But stranger things have happened. Maybe just one little part of the board that controls the motor speed or the head movement is damaged and preventing proper function. Obviously the data is still there and seemingly in tact. Just not accessable. I've already tried 3-4 data recovery softwares and they also haven't had any luck.