Hard drive shows incorrect info, and lost old mapping/data.

Jan 13, 2019
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I didn't see anything on the forums that quite described the issue I was having. If there is a post about it, just direct me there. :)

So a few days ago, I build a new rig but kept all my existing hard drives, three to be exact. After all the new upgrades were installed, I turned on the computer and everything was working fine. I noticed however that one of my drives that had old but important data, was no longer accessible. When I would click one the drive, it would give the following message. "F: is not accessible, access is denied". I went to computer management and checked disk management to see what was going on. It showed the partition as RAW and wanted to format the data. After reading some of the possible solutions, I ran CHKDSK /f/v on the drive. Around the same time, my MBR seemed to have become corrupted. I'm not sure if the initial CHKDSK completed when it was running since after I had walked away and come back, I noticed the computer had rebooted. After I fixed(at least under the impression I did) the MBR problem, I went back to tackle the hard drive problem. Here is where the weird thing happened..

While all of this was going on, I have previously plugged in one of my 1TB WD MyPassport drives plugged in and was named "WD Drive" and assigned a letter of D:. I have used this drive just for photos and various other items in the past. Once I completed running the CHKDSK /f/v the drive took the name of my WD Drive, and contained the same data as my WD drive. I also noticed there were these inaccessible partition fragments in disk management, but now they no longer appear there. How can I correct the incorrect mapping and get my old data back?

Thanks so much for any insight and help.

Need to know how the original setup was, if you had some special disk setup like RAID, virtual disks, encryption, etc.. on the disks, you will have issues once you change motherboards. Also access denied is normal if you setup a clean Windows on the system since the old drive files would be set to rights for the old user account.

I would get someone that knows computers better to look over your setup before things get really messed up and disks are wiped.

Jan 13, 2019
Well....the good thing is I was able to scan the drive with R-studio and most of the files seems accessible. I'm not a huge fan of dropping the money, but it's worth it overall. Thanks for your reply, let me see how R-studio goes.