hard drive shows up in bios and in windows but not in raid menue

8bitgamer8

Honorable
Jul 23, 2014
i have a pc that has 2 ssd in raid 1 and 2 hdds in raid 1 as well.
the hdds were a little on the small side so i just got two new ones to grow out the sytum.
got it all hooked up
when i booted into bios the drives were listed properly.
when the computer started windows drive manager was able to see them
but during start up the bios raid menue does not even list them at all.
any idea? id prefer to raid them through bos then through windows.
but if thats not an option i gusse i can do that.

but why would my other 4 drives show up in raid but not the new one?

Solution
Hey there, @8bitgamer8!

I'd definitely agree with @ss202sl and ask you to share more details about your whole system configuration. It would be really helpful to us. You mentioned that you have 2 SSDs in RAID 1 and 2 HDDs in RAID 1, however, adding a 5th drive doesn't show up.
If you do have only one SATA (RAID) controller and u connect a 5th HDD to it, it will automatically put it in RAID mode as well. This means that the drive could be recognized but it could be listed as a part of one of the RAID 1 arrays.
In order to have a separate drive from the arrays, you need an additional SATA controller that is not configured in RAID mode. What do you plan to use this 5th HDD for inside the PC case?

Keep us posted with the details & the...
Hey there, @8bitgamer8!

I'd definitely agree with @ss202sl and ask you to share more details about your whole system configuration. It would be really helpful to us. You mentioned that you have 2 SSDs in RAID 1 and 2 HDDs in RAID 1, however, adding a 5th drive doesn't show up.
If you do have only one SATA (RAID) controller and u connect a 5th HDD to it, it will automatically put it in RAID mode as well. This means that the drive could be recognized but it could be listed as a part of one of the RAID 1 arrays.
In order to have a separate drive from the arrays, you need an additional SATA controller that is not configured in RAID mode. What do you plan to use this 5th HDD for inside the PC case?

Keep us posted with the details & the troubleshooting steps!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution