Hard Drive Shows up in Device Manager but Doesn't Show In Disk Management

Friendlyx

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hey there! So i have a WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B1 hard drive that i bought on a newegg sale... I've been trying to format it to get it to work. It doesn't work, i've tried to replace the power to the hard drive and even the sata cable. I don't know what else to do, any help would be fine, thank you.
62jp7jbdt

qe6t0hx0v

Solution

Since you haven't given any indication you've already done this, test the health of your WD HDD with WD's HDD diagnostic tool which you can download from http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL
You may simply be dealing with a defective disk. Maybe not - but check it out.
If you have a windows setup and install disk, and it is a boot able version.
Simply pop it in your dvd drive.

Set in your bios the dvd drive to the first boot device.
Save the settings before you exit your bios.

Let the system restart and when asked to press a key to boot from the dvd do so.

When you get to the setup part of windows install where it asks you to select a drive to install windows too.
Select the WD drive.

Click on the drive options advanced.
And select format.

Once done. simply exit the windows install setup by pressing escape.
Remove the Disc from the dvd drive.
Enter the bios and change the the boot order of devices back to the prior settings.

Save the setting before you exit the bios once again.

Let the system boot into windows.
And the WD drive should show in my computer of windows.

Friendlyx

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

I went ahead and tried to do what you said, however i don't see the drive here either.... thank you: )

Since you haven't given any indication you've already done this, test the health of your WD HDD with WD's HDD diagnostic tool which you can download from http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL
You may simply be dealing with a defective disk. Maybe not - but check it out.

Solution

hakipower

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
This is the correct solution:

I read a lot of posts but none of them address my real problem, what happened to me is that; at the windows installation screen (after restarting p.c and pressing f10 to access boot menu) i installed windows on my C: drive but i forgot to allocate space or create a partition in my other hard drives, so i inserted my bootable windows usb installation again and went to the menu where i can delete or format or create new partition for my hard drives, i clicked on the hard drive and then clicked *new and then i chose 488000 MB (my hard drive is 512 GB ssd. And then i quit the installation and then restarted p.c, opened my computer and now my computer recognizes the missing hard drive.

Hope you guys out there who have the same problem don't waste so much time as i did and hope this helps.

Is godspeed faster than the speed of light?

TRENDING THREADS