Question Hard drive shows via USB but not with SATA (bios is fine either way, only won't show in Windows)

ScarofScion

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
Very specific question I hope someone here has seen before or can lead me towards a solution.
I have a 5TB Seagate that I use as a shared drive in Windows 10. All of a sudden it stopped showing up in Windows both in file explorer and in disk management, I'm using the latest Windows 10.
I thought maybe the drive failed but it's not. It shows up in BIOS, I can still read and write to it if I plug it in via a external USB HD reader. It just doesn't show in Windows. I have tried switching SATA and SATA power with known working drives. I'm pretty good with this stuff normally but not sure about this one. I'm thinking maybe something in the network share may have caused a Windows Registry corruption. Any ideas out there?

I did recently update the boot drive to an SSD, the only thing i can see that may have caused the problem. issue is there are so many drives on this computer I'm not sure if this happened right after the upgrade.

Last edited:
Very specific question I hope someone here has seen before or can lead me towards a solution.
I have a 5TB Seagate that I use as a shared drive in Windows 10. All of a sudden it stopped showing up in Windows both in file explorer and in disk management, I'm using the latest Windows 10.
I thought maybe the drive failed but it's not. It shows up in BIOS, I can still read and write to it if I plug it in via a external USB HD reader. It just doesn't show in Windows. I have tried switching SATA and SATA power with known working drives. I'm pretty good with this stuff normally but not sure about this one. I'm thinking maybe something in the network share may have caused a Windows Registry corruption. Any ideas out there?

I did recently update the boot drive to an SSD, the only thing i can see that may have caused the problem. issue is there are so many drives on this computer I'm not sure if this happened right after the upgrade.
Do you see it in Device manager and what happens when you Populate it.
What about Disk management ?

ScarofScion

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
Device Manager never shows the drive. After playing with a different combo of drives I started to notice an issue where other drives would not show up as well. That led me to think the Samsung Migration tool I used to clone my old HDD to SSD may have caused this issue.

And what do you know it was it. I used a test drive at first and verified this. So I had to go down the whole backup all my settings and restore them manually. What a waste of time using the cloning tools. I also tried Macrium which didn't even boot. Any freeware suggestions out there?

Anyways issue has been resolved thank for the reply CountMike.