Hard drive size dropped after format

laptop4079

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I was zero writing my laptops 640 GB hard drive and at the end it couldn't finish due to a bad sector, when it loaded in my computer it now says it's 595 Gb I have deleted the partition in computer management and re partitioned it with no luck. Should I be looking in to buying a new hard drive soon?

Solution

The size did not change, it's just that HDD makers use decimal system for size and most OSes use binary system. In decimal one MB is 1,000 KB, in decimal 1MB is 1024KB but in the end you are using the full capacity.

if the drive is a 640 gig drive your you partion the drive and format it you do lose space from the total hard drive. most vendor dont list the usable drive size just what the max size of the drive would be it you placed one bit on it. if your drive in windows was 640g and it now down to 595g then the program you used must of written the bad sectors onto the drive firmware there a defects list on all hard drives. then vendor makes these list and it stored on the controler. as a drive gets older bad spots do show up. some drive and controlers can mask out the spots and puts them in what called a glist or grown list. if the glist hit a set size then smarts if turned on starts warning users to replace the drive soon. the factory name for the defects is called a plist
http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-drive-defects-table.htm
you may want to look at the software you ran to see if it change those lists. if it did not then the hard drive did it itself.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

The size did not change, it's just that HDD makers use decimal system for size and most OSes use binary system. In decimal one MB is 1,000 KB, in decimal 1MB is 1024KB but in the end you are using the full capacity.

Solution