Question Hard Drive slows PC, makes noise, fails to register

Aug 4, 2020
I recently bought a new computer and a 4TB Seagate HDD to go with it. Rebooting after installation, the new drive began making a clicking noise like this. Start up (and subsequent shut downs) took well over a minute - compared to 5 seconds usually. Additionally, the HDD did not show up on the file explorer, although it does appear in the BIOS.

The problems only occur when the HDD is plugged in (Sata and power), but I'm not sure why it would slow down the computer itself, when the computer boots off an SSD. This is more than I know how to debug, any advice would be appreciated. Is the drive just broken? Thanks

PC details:
Windows 10
i5-9600K
RTX 2070 Super
16GB DDR3
512GB SSD (+4TB Seagate SSD)
Intel Z390

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
I'm not sure why it would slow down the computer itself, when the computer boots off an SSD.

in short, when you turn the PC on the BIOS will check every drive to make sure everything works as intended. this drive appears to be DOA..

The problems only occur when the HDD is plugged in (Sata and power)
512GB SSD (+4TB Seagate SSD)

always the same brand LOL. can you share the model number ?
not sure what you mean by SATA and power.... is it an external drive ?

Aug 4, 2020
in short, when you turn the PC on the BIOS will check every drive to make sure everything works as intended. this drive appears to be DOA..

always the same brand LOL. can you share the model number ?
not sure what you mean by SATA and power.... is it an external drive ?

Thank you for the response!

Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 - Here's a link to the HDD, and where I bought it. Is Seagate unreliable?

What I'm referring to - If I understand this correctly, it looks like I was referring to the SATA power and SATA data cable - both are plugged in.

Audio of the hard drive - Weird link, but faster than a YouTube video.

It does seem like it's DOA. That really sucks

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 - Here's a link to the HDD, and where I bought it. Is Seagate unreliable?

it's by far less reliable than WD of course and just for the record it's a SMR drive.

What I'm referring to - If I understand this correctly, it looks like I was referring to the SATA power and SATA data cable - both are plugged in.

I know what a SATA connector is but I thought it was working well via USB only so there could be an issue on the molex lead if there is any

Audio of the hard drive - Weird link, but faster than a YouTube video.
It does seem like it's DOA. That really sucks

Yes. you don't even need to check the SMART status. RMA and move on.