Hard Drive Sounds

falcon_22

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
A year ago, I bought a Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1 tb SATA drive and it was prone to making a lot of noise. Recently it began to make stranger noises and would have random crashes. Amazon kindly provided a replacement part, as it was still under warranty, but this part seems to be making a lot of noise too. The noise it makes is like an incessant clicking sound like a rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat that is loud and constant. I have tried to see if this is the infamous click of death but it does not seem to be the standard problem noises, as it continues to function. I am not sure whether there is a problem with the drive or it is just me being picky. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It is possible the drive has a bad bearing; I would go ahead and return it while still in warranty. Bad luck with 2 consecutive drives is rare, but not impossible.
Or you could continue to use it, but do not put any important data on it (not really a solution, in my opinion).

falcon_22

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to return it and try to get another. Hopefully that one will work (It would really really suck if the third drive failed...). If it doesn't I will probably just get a different drive.

falcon_22

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I haven't been able to send it back yet, and I was going to send it back this week. But strangely, the sound has begun appearing less and less frequently. I am not sure if this is usually what happens. It seems really strange. Should I still send it back?

Keep backing up the data from it; but, that kinda defeats the purpose of having a back-up data disk. I would send it back , just because if it were my drive, I would use it to back-up my data on it, and not just to add another problem to my system (if I had to keep backing up the data from it to a third device, what need would I have for it to begin with?).
Just my 2 cents.

Noise from a hard drive is pretty normal. Drives vary a lot from one model to another in the sounds they make, so there's not much point in worrying about a new drive because it's louder than a older drive you're used to.

But if the sounds change, and if the change isn't associated with some particular activity you're doing (defragmenting the drive, or doing a full-drive search for something, for example) then that could well be a cause for concern.