hard drive space

Mike

Splendid

i have 2 hard drives and i would like to change the
directory to the temp file which is created every time i
download. the current hard drive which the
download 'temp file' is pointed to does not have enough
space before i install to the other (larger) drive...
can i change the path of the temp file which is created
upon download to the hard drive with more space available?
i cant create any more space on my smaller drive and i
really would like to download a demo that is 750mb but i
am not able to even though i direct the download to my
large hard drive due to this temp file issue..!! help!!

"mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have 2 hard drives and i would like to change the
> directory to the temp file which is created every time i
> download. the current hard drive which the
> download 'temp file' is pointed to does not have enough
> space before i install to the other (larger) drive...
> can i change the path of the temp file which is created
> upon download to the hard drive with more space available?
> i cant create any more space on my smaller drive and i
> really would like to download a demo that is 750mb but i
> am not able to even though i direct the download to my
> large hard drive due to this temp file issue..!! help!!

Control Panel / System / Advanced / Environmental Variables

The subject is actually covered in detail in the Windows Help
files: Start / Help / Search / type temp / Setting Environmental
Variables.

ok i found where u r speaking of - but - how do i change
the path?? i c the edit button but after clicking it the
regular path name, like:C:\local settings.... does not
appear. instead it looks like this:
%userprofile%localsettings with no drive to indicate the
path..??? help again pls!!!!
i cant find in help files how to edit these environmental
varibles either...what the heck is with the % signs??
thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you would read the answer from Pegasus - he said all the necessary
instructions were in the Help file on your computer. Go read them.

> ok i found where u r speaking of - but - how do i change
> the path?? i c the edit button but after clicking it the
> regular path name, like:C:\local settings.... does not
> appear. instead it looks like this:
> %userprofile%localsettings with no drive to indicate the
> path..??? help again pls!!!!
> i cant find in help files how to edit these environmental
> varibles either...what the heck is with the % signs??
> thanks

Mike

Splendid

i cant find any help files on editing the environmental
varibles!!

I will repeat my previous instructions in long-hand:

1. Click Start
2. Click Help
3. Click the Search tab
4. Type the word temp
5. Double-click "Setting environmental variables"
6. Read the explanations
7. Click "Related Topics" at the bottom

> i cant find any help files on editing the environmental
> varibles!!

Mike

Splendid

sorry there r no instructions on how to edit the
environmental varibles no matter how many times u tell me
how to go to the help files for them....
i cannot find an explanation for changing a path that
looks like this: %userprofile%\localsettings\temp
that string is pointing to my c drive and i would like to
change it to my f drive. how this is done is not
explained in any of the files u r referring to, even
the "related topics" which actually just run u in a
circle back to where u start.
will u try and edit the TEMP varible yourself so that we
could uderstand eachother better please.

TRENDING THREADS