Hard drive spins only when win10 USB installation tool is plugged

Rami21

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
I just built my first pc from components and i am running into problems with my hard drive. Turning the pc on results in getting into the UEFI and there are no hard drives visible so im not able to choose the boot drive. (the hard drive does not spin) The interesting part is when a windows 10 installation tool is plugged in (USB) the pc posts for a little longer and starts spinning the hard drive. After a few seconds it boots from the usb. (i went on and installed win 10 succesfully) After the installation i thought that everything was fine and turned the pc off. When turning it on it does the same thing as before the installation of win 10. (HDD does not spin/ show in uefi) I am able to get the HDD show up on uefi by turning the pc on with the usb plugged and by cancelling the win 10 install so it goes back to the uefi. Booting from the drive selected from the boot list does not work either.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Sounds like a bad drive. But do the bios update anyway and check.
some newer mb have asmedia sata ports make sure your on the intel or amd ports. on a new build make sure the mb has the newest bios file on it. check in the bios make sure secure boot is off. on the drive itself check to see if there any firmware updates for that drive. if there are none. put the drive into another pc run hdtune and vendor test tools see if it passes. if it does the same thing it a bad drive and return it.

Rami21

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
I have Asus z170-A.

I tried all the sata ports on the mobo but there was no difference.

It can boot from the HDD by going trough the win10 installation tool so connections should be ok.

I found the secure boot option from the bios but i cant change it.

Im going to try a different hard drive and possibly try updating the bios.

Sounds like a bad drive. But do the bios update anyway and check.

Solution

What make/model was it?
Also, you should consider an SSD for your boot drive. Even a cheap 120gb one like adata sp550 would make a world of a difference in your computing experience.