[SOLVED] Hard Drive Stuck at 0% Fragmented

andrewlong321

Prominent
Nov 12, 2020
So a few days ago I just decided to run an optimization for the drive which is not my Windows Drive. It has now been stuck on 0% fragmented for a day or two. I have also tried deleting the drive completely and creating a new simple volume, and the 0% fragmentation still comes back. What should I do?

Solution
When something gets stored/written to the drive, it goes wherever it can. So if you have a document that's 10 blocks large, and there's a 6block open spot, thays where it goes, the other 4 going someplace else. That happens with everything. Do it enough times and your drive gets fragmented. Little bits of info all over the place, not combined in one nice neat package.

Optimization or Defrag is used to take those bits of info, and combine them into one package. It sorts and organizes all your files into big blocks of data, so windows only need look in one spot for the file, not spend 10 minutes hunting down a million different blips spread willy-nilly.

If your drive is reporting 0% fragmented, it's already got everything sorted. If...

USAFRet

Titan
So a few days ago I just decided to run an optimization for the drive which is not my Windows Drive. It has now been stuck on 0% fragmented for a day or two. I have also tried deleting the drive completely and creating a new simple volume, and the 0% fragmentation still comes back. What should I do?
Theres no data on it?

Well, that is supposed to be "0%".

I'm not seeing a problem.

Reactions: Krotow

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When something gets stored/written to the drive, it goes wherever it can. So if you have a document that's 10 blocks large, and there's a 6block open spot, thays where it goes, the other 4 going someplace else. That happens with everything. Do it enough times and your drive gets fragmented. Little bits of info all over the place, not combined in one nice neat package.

Optimization or Defrag is used to take those bits of info, and combine them into one package. It sorts and organizes all your files into big blocks of data, so windows only need look in one spot for the file, not spend 10 minutes hunting down a million different blips spread willy-nilly.

If your drive is reporting 0% fragmented, it's already got everything sorted. If the drive ever gets to @ 20% fragmented, it's like you went out and bought the next step down cpu, it'll be responding that slowly.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS