Hard drive suddenly stopped/not recognized by BIOS or OS sign of failing Hard drive?

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Hello , i was recently playing Ghost Recon Wildlands on my pc an hour ago. suddenly the game hanged and i alt tabbed i noticed that the HDD on my pc was not recognized,. is this a sign of failure? i tried restarting but its not shown in the bios, but i disconnected the cable and reconnected again and is now being recognized i also moved the sata cables on the mobo slightly to see if it is connected properly., this HDD lasted 5 years without error messages or crashing before. though i know it's old and might fail anytime, and i might just buy another 1tb drive before everything goes wrong, i just want to know if its likely a sign of a failing hard drive.. and by the way, these are the 5 important S.M.A.R.T readings that needs to be looked at ( i read it on a forum and forgot the link) they say the RAW values of these five should be zero;

Reallocated Sectors Count: RAW VALUE : 0 , Current 100 , Worst 100 ,Threshold 36
Current Pending Sectors Count : RAW VALUE : 0 Current 100, Worst 100 ,Threshold 0
Uncorrectable Sector Count: RAW VALUE : 0 Current 100, Worst 100 , Threshold 0
Command Time Out : RAW VALUE : 456 , Current 100 , Worst 50, Threshold 0
Reported Uncorrectable Errors: RAW VALUE : 55 , Current 15 , Worst 15 , Threshold 0

i also asked a Computer engineer and he said YES , that this could indicate a failing hard drive because it crashed. though im most likely sure that it is 60% failing , i want to ask other people / expert's opinion about this.

EDIT: Used HDTUNE and Finished running the slow error test (red block test) and no errors, and RAN the Quick test and showed no Red blocks,
Finished running chkdsk D: /f and chkdsk D: /r and found no problems.

Solution

Yes. You can do that too. Use fan cable extension.
FAN4EXT12.Main.jpg

Your motherboard probably has multiple fan connectors. Use them. Alternatively you can connect fan to molex connector from psu, but that way fan will run at constant speed and will not get regulated by motherboard...

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

Really? i thought my HDD was on the brink of death.. been using for 5 - 6 years. it was a laptop hdd that i used as a slave when i built a pc.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

just to add though, when i removed the hdd it was kinda hot, i dont know if this is a temperature issue but i didnt have the chance to monitor the temps before everything went down, i also don't know IF overheating can cause a problem like this. i usually play heavy games before like MGSV and Witcher 3 and the HDD was so hot that when i touch my case you can feel the heat but didn't crash like this. now im trying to monitor the temps while playing GR wildlands and the hdd went from 37c idle to 49c while gaming.. the highest it reached was 49c for less than an hour of gameplay and now trying to see if the HDD will crash again and at what temp will it crash

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

just to add though, when i removed the hdd it was kinda hot, i dont know if this is a temperature issue but i didnt have the chance to monitor the temps before everything went down, i also don't know IF overheating can cause a problem like this. i usually play heavy games before like MGSV and Witcher 3 and the HDD was so hot that when i touch my case you can feel the heat but didn't crash like this. now im trying to monitor the temps while playing GR wildlands and the hdd went from 37c idle to 49c while gaming.. the highest it reached was 49c for less than an hour of gameplay and now trying to see if the HDD will crash again and at what temp will it crash

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

ill keep that in mind, though my ssd is only at 45c whilst the hdd is at 49, my case is not that good because i was tight on budget and still have many things to upgrade.

but can i ask if that temp could lead to the crashing / not responding of the hard drives as mentioned above?

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

Cougar spike m atx chasis, i know its a bad case and dont laugh because the time i bought it i had no idea what i was doing and never knew it would be a shit case and couldve bought something better at that time

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

Really? though the orientation looks reasonable, would the air not flow into the hard drive bays on the B section of the case? the air would be flowing to the GPU instead of going to the hard drives

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

thanks for the tip. but as i have no extra fans yet. the only fan that i have right now is the exhaust 120mm that came with the case. after your suggestion. makes me want to transfer the exhaust fan to intake. but the cables wouldnt reach. its very short and could barely reach the chasis input in the motherboard. , if thats the case how does people even connect multiple fans to a pc? even if i will buy an extra one i don't know where to put it. or else there is some way to connect it to the powersupply? or not all fans have the same "connector" that connects to the chasis fan.

and back to the topic, ill see. the guy i talked about said it might just be a read error thats why it stopped responding. up to this point it hasnt crashed yet (hopefully it will not until i buy a new Hard Drive)

Yes. You can do that too. Use fan cable extension.
FAN4EXT12.Main.jpg

Your motherboard probably has multiple fan connectors. Use them. Alternatively you can connect fan to molex connector from psu, but that way fan will run at constant speed and will not get regulated by motherboard.
8662.jpg

Solution

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

Sorry for the late reply. i cleaned up my pc and realized that the wire was just tied up and would reach to the connector of the chasis fan on the motherboard. Regarding the multiple connectors., i don't think i have multiple. only one. the one that says "CHA_FAN" is where i connect the 120mm fan. my MOBO is ASUS H81M-D , now i transfered the exhaust fan to position C , i can feel cool air coming in. though ill see to it if the Hard Drive will improve temps during idle and gaming, i would still monitor if it would still crash. but as of the moment it hasn't since i wrote this thread