Hard Drive - Suddenly Stopped Working

dgcbev

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hi,

I have a desktop which is fairly old now but I use everyday and has been working well until now.

I have a SSD for windows and generally running the PC. Then i have a regular HDD which i use for steam games mainly.

I has been working well for years and keeps my SSD free to run the pc nice and quickly.

Anyway I tried installing Grim Fandango on steam and it didnt install properly, wouldnt run and when i cam to boot up the pc later it said there was an issue on a dos type screen that says it recomends check the drive.

It started check the 150,000 files but I got inpatient and re booted, this time avoiding the option of checking files by pressing a key.

The drive is no longer available and the icons are blank. I left it overnight to do its check the next time and it was at 14% by the morning with the message something like 'there was not enough disk space for hot fix' on every file checked.

Anyway on boot up it now takes about 5 minutes to load but eventually goes black and loads up windows with no options for checking drive.

Disk management says disk 0 uninitilaised (it was H before) i dont know if that is even the HDD as its only 3.86gb (the HDD was 500gb)

When i initialise this drive it says there was an I/O device error.

Can anyone please help me to solve this issue.

I am not certain if there is anything of value on this drive so am reluctant to start again, but can do if needed.

Many Thanks

David

Solution

Seagate, Western Digitial, Hatachi, Toshiba, if you want a HDD they are all about the same. Just go with 7200rpm or faster with good cashe size. Avoid hybrid drives since its not a boot drive. Some hybrid's have issues that can actually slow down you PC because of file swapping constantly to the SSD portion.

Unless you want to spend a bunch of money with a data recovery company, then no you can't recover the data. Check that external drive on...

dragonstar914

Proper
Jun 24, 2018
Most likely your HDD is dead unless the SATA port its on is acting funny. You could download CrystalDisk or the manufactures drive tool to check the smart errors to make sure but you still may never gain access to it again.

dgcbev

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
thanks for replies

what kind of drive should i get for an internal steam game drive?

ok...so is there anyway to recovery data of an old drive?

Im saying this as i also have a 1tb external drive with about 600gb and 15 years of photos which doesnt show up on my pc either.

thanks

dragonstar914

Proper
Jun 24, 2018

Seagate, Western Digitial, Hatachi, Toshiba, if you want a HDD they are all about the same. Just go with 7200rpm or faster with good cashe size. Avoid hybrid drives since its not a boot drive. Some hybrid's have issues that can actually slow down you PC because of file swapping constantly to the SSD portion.

Unless you want to spend a bunch of money with a data recovery company, then no you can't recover the data. Check that external drive on another PC to see if it works. If both hard drives stopped working at the same time, it's possible you could have another problem.

Solution
if you have the budget for a 1TB SSD, that would make Grim Fandango and others load instantly... lol, GREAT GAME by the way, I have bought it since the CD days of gaming on every platform now too!! My son plays it like it's a movie. me, I love the original THEIF