[SOLVED] Hard drive switch and some error

MayuMayo

Commendable
Mar 12, 2019
Greetings, I don't know much of computers but what what would happen if I put my old hard drive with all my files (Windows10 installed in it) in to another pc without hard drive of its own with different motherboard parts bios etc. Will it boot up normally or it won't detect it so I need to go to disk management?
Here is the reason. My friends pc is 10 years old including the hard drive and he suddenly receives this message when he starts up his pc View: http://imgur.com/a/ziOjSo4

So of course he choose the recommended one which is the startup repair and this is what it looks like View: http://imgur.com/a/FZI4BOz

So the startup repair goes on for eternity and nothing happens. So of course we chose the second option after thay which is "Start Windows Normally" and this is what happens View: http://imgur.com/a/w72whvN

It runs the 'chkdsk' thing and after that nothing happens. So I assumed that the problem is from the hard drive because some of his files are corrupted and preventing windows to startup normally. So I want to give him my hard drive with Windows 10 installed in it because he only have the windows 7 one installed.

Solution
Alright so I just need to format it deleting everything and install the OS, right?

USAFRet

Titan
what would happen if I put my old hard drive with all my files (Windows10 installed in it) in to another pc without hard drive of its own with different motherboard parts bios etc. Will it boot up normally or it won't detect it so I need to go to disk management?
There is a small chance....very small, that it will actually boot up.

But it will probably fail.

If the software and OS is "corrupted", that 'probably fail' becomes a certainty.

MayuMayo

Commendable
Mar 12, 2019
It might be the software that is corrupt, and not a physically bad HDD.

Are you hoping to resurrect some data from this old drive?

Parts list in all these systems?
Nope, I don't plan to recover any of the old files. Me and my friend just want the pc to work plus the the HDD is so old it might die soon so I'm just asking if I can give mine to him or just buy a new one.

USAFRet

Titan
Nope, I don't plan to recover any of the old files. Me and my friend just want the pc to work plus the the HDD is so old it might die soon so I'm just asking if I can give mine to him or just buy a new one.
  1. Try to just install the OS on this current drive, in whatever system it will live in. It may work, it may fail.
  2. Now would be a good time to consider moving to a solid state drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Alright so I just need to format it deleting everything and install the OS, right?

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Do not format and use the old drive, it has started to develop bad sectors and will only get worse. You need a new drive and to install on that. The time has never been better to buy a Solid State Drive (SSD). You can get 500GB for less than $40 now.