Hard drive takes to long to spin up

I'm not sure this is a Win98se problem, but I can't find an answer anywhere.
If I don't do anything for a couple minutes the hard drive spins down, then
when I do something that needs to access the hard drive, there is a lag of a
few seconds, then a click (sounds like a relay click) then the hard drive
spins up, then its back to normal until the next period of inactivity.
I have the power applet in control panel set to "always on"
There are two hard drives, I would rather have the second (slave, data
storage only) drive go to sleep, but want the master to not spin down if
possible.

| I have the power applet in control panel set to "always on"

What about the rest of it...?...

System standby: Never
Turn off monitor: Never
Turn off hard disks: Never!

I do not see anything there to individualize the hard disks, & I do have
two of them.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

> | I have the power applet in control panel set to "always on"
>
> What about the rest of it...?...
>
> System standby: Never
> Turn off monitor: Never
> Turn off hard disks: Never!
>
> I do not see anything there to individualize the hard disks, & I do have
> two of them.

Yes, all are set to never, that was the first thing I did.
DB

"" wrote:
> I'm not sure this is a Win98se problem, but I can't find an
> answer anywhere.
> If I don't do anything for a couple minutes the hard drive
> spins down, then
> when I do something that needs to access the hard drive, there
> is a lag of a
> few seconds, then a click (sounds like a relay click) then the
> hard drive
> spins up, then its back to normal until the next period of
> inactivity.
> I have the power applet in control panel set to "always on"
> There are two hard drives, I would rather have the second
> (slave, data
> storage only) drive go to sleep, but want the master to not
> spin down if
> possible.

Hi
Good that you have mentioned about the Power Applet settings. Now I
see one issue, that could be your harddrive being badly fragmented.
The HDD being a mechanical device can slow down when trying to access
fragmented files, defragment regularly and also keep the system free
of junk files.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Hard-drive-takes-long-spin-ftopict407112.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1350599

I don't know. Can there be such a setting in BIOS? (Mine doesn't have
it.) Also, I guess...

........Quote.......
You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
the computer.

If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--

| > | I have the power applet in control panel set to "always on"
| >
| > What about the rest of it...?...
| >
| > System standby: Never
| > Turn off monitor: Never
| > Turn off hard disks: Never!
| >
| > I do not see anything there to individualize the hard disks, & I do
have
| > two of them.
| >
| Yes, all are set to never, that was the first thing I did.
| DB

You might check the bios settings. Turn off/disable any power saving
options, or wake option.
> I don't know. Can there be such a setting in BIOS? (Mine doesn't have
> it.) Also, I guess...
>
> .......Quote.......
> You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
> the computer.
>
> If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
> limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
> http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
>
> When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
> edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
> then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.
>
> The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
> working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
> extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.
>
> Download and Use Instructions:
> http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp
>
> Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:
>
> OnTrack Data Advisor:
> http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
> IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
> http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
> Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
> http://support.wdc.com/download/
> Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
> http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
> Seagate SeaTools:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
> Download:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> .....End.of... URLs of Glee...
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "bswarm" <bswarm@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | >
> | > What about the rest of it...?...
> | >
> | > System standby: Never
> | > Turn off monitor: Never
> | > Turn off hard disks: Never!
> | >
> | > I do not see anything there to individualize the hard disks, & I do
> have
> | > two of them.
> | >
> | Yes, all are set to never, that was the first thing I did.
> | DB

> I don't know. Can there be such a setting in BIOS? (Mine doesn't have
> it.) Also, I guess...

There it was, buried in the BIOS, It was set to sleep after 1 minute. The
BIOS in this PC has a heck-of-a-lot more settings than my other one.
Thanks,
DB

You are welcome. My BIOS appears more/more to be totally decrepit! But I
am glad you are fixed.