Hard Drive Tech Problems and Boot Priorities Please Help (Desperate)

Gamfreke

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
System Specs:
CPU - Intel i7 6700K
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X61
Motherboard - Asus TUF Sabertooth Mark 1
Ram - 16GB Ripjaws DDR4 2400
GPU - Asus 1070 Strix
Storage - 120GB samsung M.2
- 500GB Samsung SSD
- 5TB WD Black HDD
PSU - 1000 EVGA P2 Supernova
Case - Phantex Enthoo Luxe
Wifi Adapter - Gigabyte Bluetooth/wifi 1x pcie
LED - Phantex 2M LED strip

I built a new PC and it is using a 120GB M.2 boot drive, with 5TB HDD and 500GB SSD. When I install games onto my SSD they play fine, however when I install games onto my HDD they all crash when I try to run them (they don't even pop up so im assuming it's a crash). I'm pretty sure I have all my drivers up-to-date, so I don't know what else the problem can be. I don't want to jump to conclusion that my HDD is broken, I'm sure there is a solution.

Also I'm not sure if this is an issue with my boot priorities, but I have this weird boot priority always in first called Windows Boot Manager. I moved it to second and put my M.2 boot drive first, but it resets itself or something because Windows Boot Manager always is number 1. I think this might be an issue because it takes a while for my system to actually boot and I see 2 post screens.

Please help,

Sincerely, Gamfreke

Solution
You can check your MOBO's manual and see if that SATA port is on a different controller. (also see if there's some more information provided about the port)
If the working SATA port and the non working one are on the same controller, then there might be something physically wrong with your SATA port. You may want to contact the MOBO's Support on that.
Also, you can ask them about the lights. You can't really have issues with all of your components. :D

What is your Win? As for the win boot manager, just leave it to be the first boot option. It has to do with UEFI.
Threads on that:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2816427/windows-boot-manager-shows-boot-order-bios.html...
Hi there Gamfreke,

That is really unpleasant. :(

My suggestion would be to back up the data stored on your 5 TB WD drive until you sort this out.

Once you've done that, you can run both short and extended DLG test on it, so you can check it's health status out: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=HoQ6y8

Have you tried attaching the drive to another SATA port with different power and SATA cables? If you haven't done that, it may be a good idea to do so.

You mean that you get some slower boot times right? Sometimes, a failing secondary drive could result in slower boot times.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Gamfreke

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I've played around with my sata cabels and sata ports, and turns out one of my ports was problematic. I'm not sure if it's broken but I switched my hard drive to a different sata port and concluded to stay away from that port. However can you also help me with the second possible issue, where my boot drive is windows boot manager.. I placed windows boot manager at the bottom of my boot priorites and my system failed to boot, so it only boots when it is near or at the top. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be windows boot manager or something else, but I plan on leaving it alone since everything is working decent right now. Also my motherboard has onboard LEDs that light up when there is an issue, and all of them seem to be lit up, this includes bios, VGA, DRAM, CPU. Also im not sure if my CPU is configured properly since I got the blue screen when running cinebench. and I think all my drivers are up-to-date. So I don't know why the LEDs would be lit up.

You can check your MOBO's manual and see if that SATA port is on a different controller. (also see if there's some more information provided about the port)
If the working SATA port and the non working one are on the same controller, then there might be something physically wrong with your SATA port. You may want to contact the MOBO's Support on that.
Also, you can ask them about the lights. You can't really have issues with all of your components. :D

What is your Win? As for the win boot manager, just leave it to be the first boot option. It has to do with UEFI.
Threads on that:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2816427/windows-boot-manager-shows-boot-order-bios.html
http://forums.hexus.net/software/308357-win7-fresh-install-ssd-not-booting-windows-boot-manager-does.html#post3140741

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution