Hard Drive Tranfer Kits

TheOnlyDoor

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
So I have an 5 yr old HDD drive. My only Hard drive. Ive up grade my gaming PC twice in 5 yrs, new everything(except hard drive) and have upgraded this Hard drive from vista to win7 now to win8 pro 64 bit.
Id really like to complete the upgrade by going to SSD. Is it as simple as using a USB to SATA transfer kit like offered with this 512gig SSD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-450&IsVirtualParent=1
Reading the comments under the item it seems that you just plug the kit from the HDD to the SSD and it images the drive and you just pop the SSD in and your good to go.
Is it as simple as this.
Im really a computer noob and messing with bios and file compression and all that stuff is wayyy beyond me.
Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

popatim

Titan
Yes its pretty much that simple except usually the imaging software needs to be run as it usually doesnt launch on its own. You alo need to make sure the space your current installation is small enough to fit on the SSD. ie - you cant fit 720gb of stuff from your hdd into a 512gb SSD...

fterwards there may be some changes that need to be made, like putting the sata controller into ahci mode but we can address that after you've successfully installed it.

TheOnlyDoor

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks it will probably be a few weeks before I upgrade, Ill check back with you then