Hard drive troubles...

Henry MacVane

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
I have a
SATA hard drive that i am currently trying to access. My laptop it was in fried two days before i left for a three month trip (yay!) so i brought along my two hard drives. I bought a Dynex USB 3.0 2.5" sata hard drive enclosure. When i plug it in it makes a recognition noise, downloads the driver, and shows up in the devices and printers window. However when i try and find it in my computer there are no new drives. I've tried to check the properties to see if i have to grant permission or something, but no luck. I really cant partition it because i need the data on it. Im running windows 8 on this laptop. This enclosure doesnt come with a spot to run a power supply to the hard drive. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Just as a bit of more information, the second drive (my laptop had two 500 gigs) is recognized when plugged in, however it is telling me i am required to reformat it. Drive F:\ not accessible . The volume does not contain a recognizable file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Henry MacVane

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

It says File system- RAW Status- Primary Partition 467.76gb free out of 467.76 total. Which doesnt make sense because i know there are files on the hard drive.

Just as a side note, the hard drive came from a laptop running windows 7, and this laptop im using now is windows 8. I doubt this affects anything, but just letting you know.

dmmbbs

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
A fried laptop may well have HDD with corrupt filesystem/MFT. Either you can try one of the many 3rd party data recovery softwares or let go of your data and format the drive.

Samantha56

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Have any luck to fix your drive problems? Let some hard drive data recovery software (freeware-fix.blogspot.com/2013/02/hard-drive-recovery.html) rescue your drive data and format this drive latter to see whether it could be fixed finally.
No matter what happens to this hard drive, once you’ve prepared drive data backups on other locations, you also can easily copy needed data back. So, always make drive data backups all the time.

Some enclosures are configured with a 4KB sector size. If you install an internal 512e drive into such an enclosure, then you will still see the partition information in sector 0, but each volume will show up as raw (because its boot sector will be in the wrong place).

I would examine sector 0 with a disc editor (eg DMDE freeware). This will tell us whether there is a 4KB issue.