Question Hard Drive usage on secondary Hard drive going to 100%

OilPirate

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
I recently returned my Seagate 2tb Barracuda Pro to seagate and got a replacement drive to fix an issue that I thought was with the drive as my drive was going up to %100 usage but I could not see what was doing this due to the fact that it was a secondary hard drive. I opened my new hard drive and installed it correctly but I am still receiving the same problem. Please someone try and help me because I cannot play games on that hard drive anymore.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I agree, if it's at 100% all the time it might be a malware.

You can type resmon or resmon.exe in the windows search/run box to open Resource Monitor and then under the Disk tab check what processes are using the drive. It doesn't matter if it's a system drive or a secondary drive.

OilPirate

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
I agree, if it's at 100% all the time it might be a malware.

You can type resmon or resmon.exe in the windows search/run box to open Resource Monitor and then under the Disk tab check what processes are using the drive. It doesn't matter if it's a system drive or a secondary drive.
It is only 100% usage when I am playing games that are installed on that drive

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Also if you can't see what is using the drive (which can be done) how do you know it's at 100% when this happens?

As relaxislandmusic said above, when you load applications like games from HDDs it's normal for them to work near full capacity for a short while but when the game loads it's usually not that intense.

Are you sure that the problems like game crashes are caused by the HDD and nothing else? Have you has any BSODs?

Install HD Sentinel from here and check the drives SMART health status. When you run it in background and run a game you can go to Disk Performance tab for the drive in question and see if it is actually working at 100% or not.

OilPirate

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
Also if you can't see what is using the drive (which can be done) how do you know it's at 100% when this happens?

As relaxislandmusic said above, when you load applications like games from HDDs it's normal for them to work near full capacity for a short while but when the game loads it's usually not that intense.

Are you sure that the problems like game crashes are caused by the HDD and nothing else? Have you has any BSODs?

Install HD Sentinel from here and check the drives SMART health status. When you run it in background and run a game you can go to Disk Performance tab for the drive in question and see if it is actually working at 100% or not.
Not had any bsod and I have used seatools fix all and it is still not working even though the device is "healthy"

TRENDING THREADS