[SOLVED] Hard drive weirdness has me frustrated

IIrisen225II

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
A couple weeks ago my brother's hard drive started making a lot of clicking noise and wouldn't boot to windows, which made me think his refirbed seagate drive in told him not to buy died. So he bought a new western digital velociraptor, and go figure the damn thing is doing the same exact thing. when trying to install windows onto it, the drive will constantly click and spin up and down and windows will either say I need to enable a drive controller or try to partition it all the while it sits and clicks like a kid with Tourettes. Now the kicker of it is that when I put it into my personal system, it works completely <Mod Edit> fine. I first thought maybe the power supply isn't giving out enough juice to spin the drive up, so I took the graphics card out to free some up and no difference. Now I'm thinking there might be an issue with a sata controller (if thats a thing?) on the motherboard? I seriously have no idea what it could be and some insight would be greatly appreciated. (fyi i kinda rush posted this so if something doesn't make sense let me know)

Last edited by a moderator:

IIrisen225II

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Yup, probably a motherboard problem.

Try a different port, maybe you will have better luck. If the board isn't running the latest BIOS available, maybe there has been a SATA-related patch since then that may fix the problem.
didnt even think of trying a new port. funny how much stuff you miss when your frustrated. will try soon