Hard Drive won't boot after installing a new processor

Luisanmatheus

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I installed a new Quad Core processor (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400) on my friend's PC, replacing his old core 2 duo and now the BIOS won't recognize the HDD, it loads into the BIOS and it freezes at ''checking hard disk drive...'' the keyboard doesn't respond and it seems like there's nothing i can do. Could it be some power supply issue? The Power supply he's using is 270W and he has an Nvidia Gt 280 running on it (i can't quite remember the exact model). His old processor seems to be working fine, and when it gets on the BIOS it checks on the processor, displaying the model and the details. Until it tries checking the HDD then freezes.
Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks in advance!

Hi there Luisanmatheus,

Try to turn on the system without the HDD attached.
Is there OS on the drive? In case it is, you may need to reinstall OS. Keep in mind that you need to back up the data stored on the drive before that.

Apart from that, the new processor requires more power than the old one. You need to provide the full spec sheet, so we can see if the PSU has enough wattage.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Luisanmatheus

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Will the system boot without the HDD? It's the only HDD currently on the system, it's running windows 10 and yes, the OS is installed there. It works fine whenever i reinstall the old processor.
I will try installing another PSU when i get the chance and see if it solves the problem