Hard Drive won't initialize

bloyd2906

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
OK, So I have this Seagate 1TB Barracuda hard drive and it won't initialize. I go to Computer Management and under Storage, a message pops up saying "you must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it. I select MBR and click Ok. Then, a message pops up from "Virtual Disk Manager" saying "the system cannot find the file specified. I brought the hard drive into work, hooked it up to a computer there fine. On the computer I'm trying to get it to work on, it shows up in both the BIOS and in Window's setup. I've tried switched the ports on the motherboard as well as different cables, but to no avail. In the Computer Management window, it shows up as having a capacity of 1863.02 GB and when I click on its properties it has the name Raid01. Any suggestions for what I can do?

Also, here are my system specs just in case:

Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Intel i5 3570k stock settings
120 GB Corsair Force SSD (OS is on this)
1 TB WD Black
GTX 670

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
I just ran into the same issue with a new WD10JPVX 1 TB Advanced format drive in a USB 3.0 Anker enclosure. Plugging it in to my Dell Vostro 1500 Vista laptop USB port I could not initialize the drive. It shows up in devices, but every time I try the initialize with MBR option I get the disk manager error "The system cannot find the file specified". The installed internal drive is an 650 GB AF drive that works fine so this all should work no problem. I finally selected "GPT" for the initialize instead of MBR and got the error again, but then when I went back to MBR it worked - no error (it's still formatting right now, but it seems fine so far). So maybe this is a problem with the Advanced Format Vista drivers update that I did a...

bloyd2906

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

the thing is, the hard drive works fine on other computers. should I still go ahead with it?

bloyd2906

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

I booted to a disk with seatools for DOS on it. The drive showed up. I went to advanced featuers and went to set to Max Native. The test failed and came up with an error message: "Error on SetMaxAddressEXT(1953525167) = 51:10
Check to be sure that the drive has been Power Cycled.
Set Capacity to MAX Native FAILED 7/16/2013 @ 12:46.04"

I shutdown and went back in, same message.

Bassie de Clown

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
1. Just download Bootit Baremetal
2. make a bootable USB or CD with BBM
3. Startup from this USB or CD
4. Go to "partition manager".
5. Choose problem HDD
6. If "error" , try other setting change "BUS" into "BIOS direct" i.s.o. "BIOS" (upper left dropdown box in partiton screen)
7. Now choose "change disk type" and make it something else (change MBR into GPT) (this will lead to destruction of any unwanted DOS partitions, just "delete" + "clear boot sector" did not suffice for me)
8. It will now be formatted.
9. reboot and your HDD will work in Windows again (if you like you can change GPT into MBR again) :D.

rich1051414

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Is the drive passworded on the other computer? If it is, you must remove the password from the drive first by setting it to nothing. That is a hell of a thing to remove, and can't be removed without a complete format.

Amenite

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
I just ran into the same issue with a new WD10JPVX 1 TB Advanced format drive in a USB 3.0 Anker enclosure. Plugging it in to my Dell Vostro 1500 Vista laptop USB port I could not initialize the drive. It shows up in devices, but every time I try the initialize with MBR option I get the disk manager error "The system cannot find the file specified". The installed internal drive is an 650 GB AF drive that works fine so this all should work no problem. I finally selected "GPT" for the initialize instead of MBR and got the error again, but then when I went back to MBR it worked - no error (it's still formatting right now, but it seems fine so far). So maybe this is a problem with the Advanced Format Vista drivers update that I did a year or two ago when I installed the 650 GB AF drive? Try that GPT initialize option as a fix if you run into this and you might get lucky like I did.

Solution