Hard drive won't mount!

Jrb599

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi. I have an 80gig Samsung Hard drive from an HP laptop I put into an external drive (HP won't boot anymore). I want to recover all the photos from it.

When I try to mount it using Ubuntu I get two errors (there are two partitions on the hard drive)

Error1: Error mounting: Mount exited with exit code 14. Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.

Error2: Error mounting: Mount is exited with exit code 14. ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/Output error. Failed to read $AttrDef, unexpected length (-1 !=2560). Failed to mount /dev/sdc1': Input/output error.

Please help!

1. Try using the -r switch to mount read-only.

2. Try the -o remove_hiberfile option to remove the hibernation file.

You say the disk won't boot, so be aware that its structure may be corrupted. Even if you manage to mount it you may not be able to read all (or even any) of its contents. In any event, do not attempt to mount it write enabled.

The safest option would be to attach the disk to a working Windows system and run chkdsk on it; Linux's NTFS support is, necessarily, not as complete as Microsoft's.

Jrb599

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I've connected it to a windows computer and nothing happens. It just says the disk needs to be formatted (and that's if I'm lucky to get it to load; most times it won't do anything).

Thanks for your help, I'm extremely new to linux commands. I'm not really sure what a switch or option is - what command should I be appending these too?

If the Windows computer won't read it then I would be extremely surprised if Linux will.

Anyway, you just add the switches (or options) to the command line that you use to mount the drive. So, in a terminal, you would type something like:

mount -r -t ntfs /dev/sdc1 /mnt

reznor

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Looks like your file system has gone for a toss. try running fsck on it to see if that does any good. [fsck -t ntfs /dev/<dev>]

Jrb599

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008

How long does gddrescue take to make an image?