Question Hard drive won't spin up when connected internally but does spin via external SATA/USB cable?

Dec 6, 2020
Hi,
I wanted to upgrade an Asus Vivobook 17 laptop from Seagate Mobile HDD 1TB ST1000LM035 to SSD, but got into boot problems with the ssd not booting (I suspect missing drivers).
So I decided to put back the HDD, but to my surprise the disk won't spin any more. BIOS displays "the system cannot find any bootable devices".
The HDD does spin if connected via SATA/USB cable (i can also mount its contents on another machine). I also reinitialised BIOS settings to defaults (F9), but that doesn't help.

Possibly related: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...rough-motherboard-but-will-on-its-own.692191/
But in my case I'm re-adding the same disk that was shipped with the laptop. All was working fine before the ssd cloning attempt.

I'm confused as to what the issue may be?

popatim

Titan
Triple check that the "pins' are lining up correctly. I remember swapping my ssd into my laptop and it even felt like the pins were going in right but in reality they were just missing and sliding under the connector. it took me about an hour to figure that out. LoL

Dec 6, 2020
Thanks popatim. This was a good tip as I didn't think of that. Unfortunately, after carefully checking the pins, I see no damage there , and I did pay attention to alignment once more - but same result.

I should add that replacing the hdd with the sdd on the mainboard leads to the same outcome (but with the difference that with HDD I can hear that it's not spinning, which is not possible to check with ssd AFAIK).

That being said, ssd is a clone of the hdd.

2 questions:
  • is it possible that some configuration data in the disk somehow changed the power settings requested from BIOS?
  • assuming I reset the disk bit by bit , could that solve the powering issue? Would the disk at least show up somewhere in BIOS to prove it's being alimented/detected?