Question Hard Drive works externally but not internally

Oct 28, 2022
I have a media server at home with a 6TB, 8TB, and 10TB drive installed for storage. I thought I had a hard drive failure recently of the 8TB drive. It disappeared and I saw a bunch of disk errors in the windows event logs (I didn't look at their details though, I should have). I bought a replacement and, using a 2 bay USB caddy, plugged both drives in. Strangely the drive I thought had failed showed up within the caddy without issue and showed no errors. I recovered the data anyway. After the transfer I installed the new 8TB drive. Afterwards though, my 10TB drive disappeared. I began troubleshooting. Checked all the cables, replaced ALL my SATA cables and tried different power cables. The 10TB now refuses to show up when installed inside my computer. BUT, when I remove the 10TB drive and plug it into the usb caddy it works fine. At one point while the 10TB was installed inside the case I got frustrated and decided to try and initialize it. Windows gave an error "couldn't initialize the device because of an IO error". I even went so far as to reinstall windows but no joy.
I'm thinking that my 8TB drive didn't fail and was only exhibiting the same symptoms as my 10TB now is.
Also, while the drive was connected via USB and working fine I downloaded WD's diagnostic tool, but it didn't find anything wrong with the drive.
Why would the drive work externally via USB but not internally?

Oct 28, 2022
intell i78700K with 32GB of ram.
MSI motherboard Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
3HDD (10TB, 8TB, and 6TB) all WD Red drives
Samsung EVO M2 for the C drive

Windows 10, fully up to date, clean install, and verified all drivers are up to date.