[SOLVED] Hard drive

Feb 8, 2021
So recently I used this program called EaseUS to clone a drive. Now I don’t know what happen but after I came back pc was black so I reset the pc. System runs but acts up won’t boot into windows, can’t use windows media Cd/Dvd or Usb media it won’t load. Now if I remove the clone hhd system boots up fine and windows media Cd/Dvd or Usb media work fine.once windows 10 up and running off of one hhd and then I add the clone to the system acts slow and does not responded and I see the drive but can’t open it windows starts to load and load and I felt if for a good two hours nothing windows was like frozen but once I remove the Clone hard drive it came back up alive. Is there any to fix the clone hhd cause I can’t use windows media Cd/Dvd or Usb media or western Digital software tool

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
could be you need a new hdd.

What I would do is buy a 500gb ssd and replace both of your drives with it, gives you the speed and the space, and an extra sata port free for another hdd if you really need more space.
Feb 8, 2021
Which clone drive is it? brand and model,
USB, M.2 or SATA?

Which motherboard is it?

my pc is Hp pavilion desktop 590-p0xxx
Motherboard Hp model 843b version 00
Windows 10 64bit version build 1909(10.0.18363)
Storage I have on it intel octane + 1tb hdd

so the intel that’s has 16gb I used to clone to 1 tb hard drive

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is the clone one of the 2 you already had or a new drive? just curious. wonder what a clone of an optane unit looks like... for science!

As said in other thread, you need an actual NVME which is 500gb or more in space to let yourself truly appreciate the speed. Don't buy a 120 or 250, I would start at 500gb. Windows doesn't need all that but once you used a fast boot drive, you don't want to use hdd again.

Install windows on the new NVME, format the other 2 drives as they are messy now. Forget this ever happened.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the optane comes with the HP he has. it is included, but why?
It is listed here as a 16gb NVME, which is technically true - https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06000982

How was this PC formatted before you got it? did it have windows on the hdd? As that is where it should be.

Stop trying to clone it. You best off removing the optane temporarily
Install win 10 on the hdd
put optane back in and make sure its not showing in boot order of bios
set up Intel rapid Storage Tech to use the optane as a cache drive.

In theory, win 10 shouldn't be able to see that optane as it shoudl be left as unallocated space, I think thats how it works.

Reactions: MrWhosHacking

Colif

Win 11 Master
But if the user tries to reinstall an OS without paying attention, Windows will probably see it as a semi-valid space to install to.

That was normally when people would find their 32gb ssd they never knew was on their device, and the fun would begin. It was fixing these problems that I learned about this.

shame installer isn't smart enough to know what it can't fit in. Makes me wonder. Gardenman showed me a screen shot of a 20gb VM with 11.9gb used, win 10 installed. I am amazed it can shrink install size down so much.

USAFRet

Titan
That was normally when people would find their 32gb ssd they never knew was on their device, and the fun would begin. It was fixing these problems that I learned about this.

shame installer isn't smart enough to know what it can't fit in. Makes me wonder. Gardenman showed me a screen shot of a 20gb VM with 11.9gb used, win 10 installed. I am amazed it can shrink install size down so much.
This is Win 10 Pro VM, in a 32GB VHD. About 24GB consumed space.
jCFlzye.png

Steam client, a game or two, F@H, pagefile, etc...

It can be done. But it should not be done. Not for any actual use, of course.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So i wonder if you had waited long enough if clone would load. As cloning a drive that runs at 2500mb/s read speeds only a hdd that isn't that fast will cause a delay in load times. WIn 10 running in 12.9gb of space must be running compressed. So optane can cope but not sure about a hdd.

this isn't a serious question, more a one of curiousity. As its unlikely anyone else has done this before.

Feb 8, 2021
So i wonder if you had waited long enough if clone would load. As cloning a drive that runs at 2500mb/s read speeds only a hdd that isn't that fast will cause a delay in load times. WIn 10 running in 12.9gb of space must be running compressed. So optane can cope but not sure about a hdd.

this isn't a serious question, more a one of curiousity. As its unlikely anyone else has done this before.

windows was installed but when came for windows update I had no where to put them and I have the 1tb and wanted to use that but couldn’t.

now I clone the ssd that’s 16gb to 1tb and that where the 1tb cause an issue with the boot and if unplugged boots up and if plugged but in while windows running on the add fine and if I open the 1 td computer acts up or if I boot windows media same unless I remove the 1tb

Colif

Win 11 Master
could be you need a new hdd.

What I would do is buy a 500gb ssd and replace both of your drives with it, gives you the speed and the space, and an extra sata port free for another hdd if you really need more space.

Solution