Hard Drives crashed when plugged into pc

Divesh12321

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hi

im new at building pc's. I recently built my own pc

Specs
ssd - samsung 850 evo 120gb (running operating system)
case -h440
motherboard - Z170A Krait gaming 3X
ram - hyperx fury ddr4 ( 2x8gb)
cpu - i7 6700k
cpu cooler - corsair h110i gtx
power supply - Antec Neo Eco 650W ATX Modular Power Supply

when i was building everything was fine and nothing was forced into place , when i booted my pc once again everything worked, i installed windows and it worked. At this point i had two HDD's and one SSD plugged into my motherboard with the included connectors that came with the power supply. The first HDD was a samsung 1.5TB HD154UI drive and the second drive was a seagate 1tb model st1000dm003( with the SSD running my OS). The secoond time i booted my pc the one seagate drive started making a weird noise like the hardrive was stuck and the hdd could not spin. The pc kept picking up the drive and losing it until it just couldn't pick up the drive at all, even in the disk management menu. I removed this drive thinking that i might have rough handled the drive causing it to crash. A few days later i decided to run Black OPs 1 to see if it works and the whole pc froze and i couldn't do anything, i then rebooted the pc and when it rebooted the samsung drive started making a similar noise to the first HDD. This drive could also no longer be picked up under the disk management menu. I am not sure why this happened to both of my hdds, my assumption is that they recieved too much power from the power supply causing the drives to crash. The SSD is running perfectly fine with my OS on it , but the HDD's are dead. I even tried connecting the two HDD's to an external case and connecting the drives via usb but the pc still could not detect my HDD's. I also tried connecting the drives to my laptop via usb but the latop also didnt detect it.

Im pretty sure the drives are dead, but im not sure what went wrong and why they are dead, please can you help me sort out this problem so that my future HDD's dont suffer the same consequence. ( all of this happened in 4 days)

Thanks in advance
Divesh

Solution
If ever there was a situation that on the face of it sounds like you're dealing with two defective HDDs, this is it. But TWO HDDs, and at the same time? Your troubleshooting seems to have covered all the bases given the symptoms of the problem.

It's hard for me to believe the problem is with the PSU although I know you suspect so. That Antec model PSU is about as "tried & true" PSU as you can get, but of course *@%! happens when you're dealing with PCs, so who knows? And why wouldn't it have affected the SSD? I guess you don't have a PSU power tester by any chance?

Speaking of the SSD, did you connect one or both of the HDDs to the same SATA data connector as the SSD? Also change to different PSU SATA power connectors?

I came across one report involving your MSI motherboard (it is a MSI, yes?) where the board literally "ignited". (There was no further explanation). Think it might be a good idea to get in touch with MSI to see what they have to say (& offer) re the problem you're experiencing? My experience with MSI's tech support in the past has been fairly favorable as to their responsiveness.

Divesh12321

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

I have taken my HDD to a computer store and they said that there is a problem with the seagate drive and the second one doesnt seem as bad at the moment.

I did manage to "fix" the one by making it a bootable drive and formatting and installing windows onto it, and i also connected the hardrive to a different port on the mother board which is 3gps instead of 6gps. Its been 2 days now and it is working so far.

But yes to answer your question i did connect the ssd and the hdd to the same connectors which may have caused a problem, the motherboard seems good and i only have the power supply so i cant test my pc with another psu....but for now i will see if everything runs smoothly, hopefully it will

Thanks for the feedback :)

Solution