Hard drives detected by Bios and Windows, but not working

JustNeonHere

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
I have two hard drives installed (I triple checked, they're installed correctly), they are both 250gb hard drives, and my PC can detect them in BIOS (it only shows the serial number, neither hard drive seems to have a brand) and even disk manager, but says they both only amount to 238475mb each when I go to volume and click populate in disk manager. My driver is up to date. What do I do?

Solution

Hey there again, @JustNeonHere!

These are brand new drives, right? If that's so, you can simply initialize them and then partition & format the drives through Disk management. Once formatted, they should be visible & accessible through the Windows explorer.
Posting some screenshots from there would be really helpful, though.

Hope the guides above help you.
SuperSoph_WD

RealBeast

Titan
I will assume that they are SATA drives, and not IDE, thus skipping the IDE troubleshooting stuff.

Do they have drive letters assigned in Disk Management, or can you assign them one?

Were the drives used with another OS like MAC or Linux previously?

Do they contain important data that you need before using them?

Have you checked their integrity using SeaTools for Windows, Hitachi Drive Fitness, or WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows?

JustNeonHere

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

They are SATA, yes.

I just realized that they are only in Device Manager, not Disk Management

I have no idea, but they seem brand new and are in unopened anti-static bags. (I got them from a local community warehouse-type thing, and nobody knew whose they were)

They are empty, to my knowledge.

And no. How would I do that?

Welcome to the community, @JustNeonHere!

I'd recommend going into Disk Management and use the button 'Rescan Disks'. Hopefully, it will detect your hard drives properly. I'd also suggest you re-seat the connections to both of them and make sure that they are properly mounted & configured inside your PC.
Just like @RealBeast mentioned, it's probably best to check their authenticity using their brand-specific diagnostic utilities or a third-party alternative to determine their brand, health and SMART status.

Give these a try and let us know how it goes.
SuperSoph_WD

JustNeonHere

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

Thanks! It detected the disks, but only in the bottom menu, and it says they're unallocated. How do I fix that?

Billy3

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

Try right clicking and make a "New Volume"

Hey there again, @JustNeonHere!

These are brand new drives, right? If that's so, you can simply initialize them and then partition & format the drives through Disk management. Once formatted, they should be visible & accessible through the Windows explorer.
Posting some screenshots from there would be really helpful, though.

Hope the guides above help you.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution