Hard drives missing in windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

compcrazy

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I recently have noticed that windows 7 and I just upgraded to windows 10 via the free upgrade, will not show all my hard drives ? On start up they show for a few seconds then go away. Both are WD. One is 500 gb, and the other is a new 1TB.
I am not sure when this started but noticed it just recently when I tried to access my pictures on the 500gb drive. I have tried just about everything here with no luck. The 500gb drive does have a windows vista OS on it but the 1 TB is just for back ups etc.
All was fine some time ago but now, all I see is my SSD with my OS and an external drive. Also the Hard Drives do show up in Bios. I might have found a reason this happens.
Most likely on a windows and / or driver update.
On my system the drivers for these missing Hard Drives you can see them in device manager by selecting view / show hidden devices.
On my wifes system it shows her extra drives as ATA.
On mine they went to SCSI !
Hers are there...mine are gone. Almost the same system I recently upgraded to win 10....thought it might fix itself but NOOOOOOOOOOOO ! LOL

Solution
Do not run the system with dual operating systems on another drive. I'd back up the important data on the drive with Vista to another drive, using a different computer if necessary, then wipe that drive removing the boot and system partitions from the Vista installation that may be tampering with your boot process. Or simply remove the Vista drive from the system by disconnecting it from the motherboard.

I'd also reset the bios to default settings or more preferably, remove the motherboard cmos battery for a few minutes then reinstall it and reboot. This should reset the bios settings and the EFI hardware tables.

I'd also consider trying different SATA cables on those drives and/or connecting them to different SATA headers on the...
Do not run the system with dual operating systems on another drive. I'd back up the important data on the drive with Vista to another drive, using a different computer if necessary, then wipe that drive removing the boot and system partitions from the Vista installation that may be tampering with your boot process. Or simply remove the Vista drive from the system by disconnecting it from the motherboard.

I'd also reset the bios to default settings or more preferably, remove the motherboard cmos battery for a few minutes then reinstall it and reboot. This should reset the bios settings and the EFI hardware tables.

I'd also consider trying different SATA cables on those drives and/or connecting them to different SATA headers on the motherboard. If none of that helps, download and run Seatools for Windows

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

on each of those drives to check the drive health. Run the Short DST (Drive self test) and the long generic.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.