Hard drives not recognised

Jul 29, 2018
I shut down my PC and then unplugged my hard drive to plug in another to check some old files, the pc didn't recognise the hard drive (not in disk management either) so i gave up and plugged my old one in, now that one isnt recognised either. Neither of them show up in BIOS so i'm kinda stuck. Everything on the internet suggests that if it doesnt shop up in bios it's toast, what are the chances that both hard drives are dead? Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Solution
if there old ide drives make sure the jumper for master/slave is in the right place. for sata drives try another sata data cable. on older mb some may have 3 party sata chipset that may be on or off in the bios and may not work the same as standard intel or amd sata ports. google your mb info see what ports are port 0/1. try those two ports first. on the drives make sure none of the pins on the data connector are broken.

mkdrive2

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
(In case your hard drives are HDDs, and not SSDs) When your hard drives are plugged in, can you hear them?

To test if both the hard drive port or SATA cables are all right, you could temporarily plug your system drive to that spot. If your OS doesn't boot up then one or both of them are damaged. If the OS boots up fine, then your hard drives might be damaged.

It would be nice if you had an external HDD case to test the hard drives on, too. They only cost about 25 bucks.

if there old ide drives make sure the jumper for master/slave is in the right place. for sata drives try another sata data cable. on older mb some may have 3 party sata chipset that may be on or off in the bios and may not work the same as standard intel or amd sata ports. google your mb info see what ports are port 0/1. try those two ports first. on the drives make sure none of the pins on the data connector are broken.

Solution