[SOLVED] Hard Drives not working help!

Jul 23, 2020
About a Month ago I switched out my psu in my pc. After finishing my pc stops recognizing my hard drives (1tb segate compute & a 2tb segate compute) completely, but my 860 evo asd was still recognized. I assume it was psu issue so I swotch to a psu I have in another computer. No luck. The drives must be toast so I grab another one I had around. Doesnt work. I switch out motherboards. Doesnt work. I dont understand could another piece of hardware be causing this?

Solution
Ok i moved my 970 and its boots to window
The 860 shows fine
Disconnected it and connect one of the drive and it didnt show
Do you mean one of your hard drives? If so, be aware that your SSD runs off 5V whereas 3.5" HDDs require both 5V and 12V.

Does the HDD spin up? If not, and if the PSU cabling is correct, then there may be a blown TVS Diode. This is usually an easy DIY fix.

TVS Diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86

Lutfij

Titan
Try and connect the HDD to another known working machine and see if the drive is visible there. By visible I mean in BIOS and in OS GUI. Also, I think you used three PSU's in total, include the make and models of all the PSU's used.

Jul 23, 2020
"I switched out my psu in my pc "

Was this a modular PSU?
If so, did you use the cables that came with the new one?

Sorry for the vagueness i switched out my corsair cx550m for an evga 650 G5 full modular and I used the new sata power and I did try swaping it for the old one off my corsair and a new one off amazon

Jul 23, 2020
Try and connect the HDD to another known working machine and see if the drive is visible there. By visible I mean in BIOS and in OS GUI. Also, I think you used three PSU's in total, include the make and models of all the PSU's used.

The drives worked when I put them in myfriends computer which has a corsair 650 psu

Jul 23, 2020
heres a list of my full specs and ALL THE DRIVES STILL WORK AND ARE TESTED

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
MB: Asrock B550m
RAM: 2x8gb Patriot 2666mhz
GPU: MSI AirBoost Vega 64
PSU: EVGA 650 G5
STORAGE: Samsung M.2 970 evo (working) Samsun 860 evo ssd (working) 1b seagate compute hdd(not working) 2tb seagate hdd (not working)

Jul 23, 2020
When you used old cable with new PSU, you most likely killed your hard drives.
Always use only bundled cables with modular PSU (never cables from a different PSU).
To be clear...at some point during this process you DID use the Corsair cables with the EVGA power supply?
Smoked hard drives...:(

To Be clear The drives do work. I tested them last week in my friends computer after I had done everything above. I also tried brand new cables. I also have a brand new drive that I have tried and another brand new drive that i havent tried

Jul 23, 2020

USAFRet

Titan
Steel Legend, on my 970 Im running windows 10

OK
Here we go into methodical testing.

Power off
Move the 970 to the M2_1 port.
Disconnect ALL other drives
Power up
Does it boot up?

If yes...
Power off
Connect the 860 SSD to SATA port 1
Power up
Does it boot correctly and show both drives?

If yes...
Power off
Disconnect the 860
Connect one of the possibly faulty HDDs to that same SATA 1 port
Power up
Does it again show both drives...the 970 OS drive and the HDD ?

Jul 23, 2020
OK
Here we go into methodical testing.

Power off
Move the 970 to the M2_1 port.
Disconnect ALL other drives
Power up
Does it boot up?

If yes...
Power off
Connect the 860 SSD to SATA port 1
Power up
Does it boot correctly and show both drives?

If yes...
Power off
Disconnect the 860
Connect one of the possibly faulty HDDs to that same SATA 1 port
Power up
Does it again show both drives...the 970 OS drive and the HDD ?
Ok i moved my 970 and its boots to window
The 860 shows fine
Disconnected it and connect one of the drive and it didnt show