Hard Driving Dying or could it be something else. Weird symptoms

jsnbrown1989

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I have been having a confusing issue with my laptop and although I've been told it is my hard drive breathing its last breath, I have my doubts.

My laptop is the Samsung NP-QX410-J01. The specs are as follows:

Processor Name Intel Core i5-480M
Processor Speed 2.67 GHz
Graphics Card Intel GMA HD
NVIDIA GeForce 310M (Hybrid) Graphics Processor
512MB Graphic Memory
4GB DDR3 System Memory
640GB Hard Drive Capacity

The symptoms are:
Occasionally when I turn the computer on, as it boots, I get the "operating system not found" error, I then turn it off and turn it back on and it boots fine as if nothing happened. This is where I wonder about the hard drive.

When booted:
I cannot play any games at all that uses any real graphic processing (BF2.. etc..) no matter how low the settings are placed. The game just crashes.
Using MS Office, I get super low res icons and a VERY Windows 2000 like UI.
I cannot use any of my Adobe Suite obviously.

---

I ran tests on my hard drive and it passed all of them perfectly fine.. Even an intensive 2 hr test. I don't (as far as my antivirus tells me) have any malware on my pc using multiple types of scanning methods and software (Malwarebytes, MS Security Essentials).

I dunno what is going on with it. This started while I was playing BF2. I probably shouldn't have been treating this laptop like a gaming laptop but I didn't figure an older game would have this kind of results to it.

ANY help would be beneficial. I know a little bit of stuff but I may need to ask questions, depending on the advice.

Thank you very much!

jsnbrown1989

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks! I've actually used this forum (By reading other's threads) for quite a while. I figured it was time for me to join. :)

Using HD Tune:
Error Scan (Quick Scan) Produced: 0 blocks that have errors
Health tabs shows a warning next to calibration retry count. current:100/worst:100.. (Not sure what that means..) everything else is ok.

Using Crystal Disk Info:
Health Status: Good

I get no warnings or anything from Crystal Disk..

So what does this mean? If it isn't my hard drive, what else can I check to find the issue?

Look for "Re-allocated sector count" - the raw value should be zero on a good disk.

jsnbrown1989

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I have:

ID________________________Current___Worst__Threshold__Data__Status
(05) Reallocated Sector Count____252_____252_____10_______0______ok

Sorry about the underlining.. I didn't realize multiple spaces weren't allowed and I wanted to format it properly.

jsnbrown1989

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Ok, just got back from doing this. It didn't change a thing.

I also forgot to mention, the Aero feature of win7 isn't working, nor the transparency. I've checked all the settings and used MS Fixit to no good result.

By any chance has BF3 installed any programs/cookies on your laptop? CCLEANER should have taken care of any issues. Sometimes CCLEANER must be run more than once.

Check the boot sequence in the BIOS.

If Windows has somehow become corrupt, try Windows repair first.

"System Restore" to a previous known good date is an option.

The last resort will be a Windows re-installation.

TRENDING THREADS