Question Hard FPS drops/ Core clock fluctuating

Oct 12, 2019
Hello, I've been noticing fps drops while playing PUBG these past days. So I monitored my GPU (ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070) via MSI afterburner and noticed that the core clock started fluctuating and then dropping hard. Goes from stable 2025Mhz to 1410hz and stablize at that number. It only does that in the training mode after a few minutes in game. But in the normal mode I still have some fluctuations and drops around 1500/1700Mhz and it goes back to 2025Mhz. I checked with a friend to see if it was related to the game but evrything stays stable while he's playing.

0a6TGOf.png

I'm talking about the core clock going down but everything goes down with it, temp, tension, power, usage as you can see...
It's my first time posting on any forum for a problem so be patient with me please! Just ask me anything and I'll try to help you help me :)

Verredo

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019
well then your cpu doesnt have enough horse power to feed your gpu fast enough
What do you mean exactly? Because I have an i7-8700k @5Ghz stable (stressed over 24h and months of gaming). If this isn't enough horse power, what is? By the way, English is not my mother tongue, so sorry if you feel like I'm being rude in any way or if I take time to understand what you mean. And again, I'm really grateful for your help :)

Oct 12, 2019
Do you have that problem with other games as well? If not, it's PUBG's fault.

Have you used DDU?
I don't have any other games installed but I'm going to check.
I already did :
  • DDU clean install with most recent driver and DDU clean install with 431.60 Driver
  • 3DMark firestorm apparently GPU is performing well.
PSU is cleared too

I noticed that the GPU usage was slowly going down and every time it hits 35-ish %, the fluctuation of the core clock begins and dies down. I tried to play with in game graphics settings, put them on ultra to bump up the GPU usage but it only delays the problem

Last edited:

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Can you post the same image but on english? Things that we need to understand what's going on:

• Frames
  • GPU Temp and Clock
  • GPU Mem Clock
But trying to understand even in a foreign language for me, I would say that you probably have a sync turned On or something fancy Geforce feature turned ON. Are you using Geforce experience? Sometimes they turn some useless sync features. Or a thermal throttling.

Oct 12, 2019
Can you post the same image but on english? Things that we need to understand what's going on:

• Frames
  • GPU Temp and Clock
  • GPU Mem Clock
But trying to understand even in a foreign language for me, I would say that you probably have a sync turned On or something fancy Geforce feature turned ON. Are you using Geforce experience? Sometimes they turn some useless sync features. Or a thermal throttling.
Hey there! Sorry for the delay, I've been trying to solve this issue. Forgot to check back here. So here's the updated screenshot:

View: https://imgur.com/a/TvKdwwp

For the frames I start around 250 and it slowly goes down. When the core clock hits 1410hMhz, I'm around 65.

I have no sync turned on, nothing fancy on with Geforce either. I don't have Experience installed at the moment. Thermal throttling is out of the way as you can see on the screen. For the CPU too.

As I mentionned in the last reply, the thing that triggers everything is the GPU usage hitting that 38-ish % usage and core clock starts fluctuating and going down. I suppose we have to find out why the GPU usage slowly dies down, but I have no clue how to do that so any help is appreciated! :)

===========

Am I allowed to post a link to another forum where someone is following me on the matter? The more the merrier, right? And it would be easier for you to know what I've tried since.