Question Hard Freeze with Black Screen after Windows Logo on Win10 for Few Minutes before login

fwinter102

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
Hi,

Recently with my Windows 10 PC, I've started having a black screen (all monitors detecting input, though) with no control (including not being able to toggle caps lock or numlock) for several minutes after the Windows logo when booting, both from hibernation and full shut down.

I've looked through the event viewer and can't seem to find anything new or amiss - each time I boot, I get event ID 129: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued, as well as some seemingly random processes timing out (different processes each time), but these also to appear to have happened before the issue arose.

I have run chkdsk on both my disks with no errors.

Specs:
i5-3330
8GB DDR3
GTX 670 (MSI)
B75-Pro3 M Motherboard
120 GB Kingston SSD
2TB WD Green HDD

If anyone has any suggestions for troubleshooting or solutions, let me know :)

F

fwinter102

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
Windows 10 Home 1809
Build 17763.316

Hiper Type M 630W (870W Peak load, reportedly)

Bought second hand, so don't know exactly the age of the PSU, but I'd estimate no older than the system itself, which is around max 5 years.

fwinter102

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
I'd check the HD's
Download Hard Disk Sentinel and see if any of them are failing.

I've downloaded it. It says there is 1 bad sector on the HDD, but that everything is still fine.

However, I've just tried to run chkdsk again, and, even after several restarts and not having HDS running, it just says "device is not ready", when I try to run cmd from the disk, and "cannot open volume for direct access" when I try to run chkdsk.
This could be to do with installing HDS, but I'm not sure, as the process is not currently running and I'm still getting an error after a restart.

I can, though, still access all of the partitions of the HDD through Windows Explorer.

Note that I did not get the freeze on either of the two restarts I carried out in order to try to get chkdsk working.

fwinter102

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
I suspect it is the hd having the problem. 1 bad block in the wrong place and it can all go haywire.

Can now run chkdsk. Turns out I was trying to access the D: drive out of habit from within cmd and... ☺ yeah... it was the F: drive.

So, just running chkdsk right now.

If it is the bad block, how do I fix it/repair it?

Note: My HD is split into 3 seperate software drives. Don't think this will be an issue, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

fwinter102

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
I suspect it is the hd having the problem. 1 bad block in the wrong place and it can all go haywire.

I've run chkdsk on all 3 partitions and it hasn't found any bad sectors, while HDS has found one.

Again, the question remains how I'd repair this bad sector if it is there, and if not, what else the problem might be.